Friday 21 January 2011

Fine days, cold nights.






We are getting cloudless days of bright sunshine; although it is bitterly cold there is now some warmth in the sun as long as one keeps out of the wind. The price we are paying is very hard frosts at night. This morning everywhere is white with frost and, as we had breakfast, the moon was just setting over the moor, so I popped out in my dressing gown and took a photograph for you. (see what I will suffer for my blogging friends).

Yesterday Tess and I walked over the fields to the village (see how blue the sky is over the village). The sun was warm but in the shady places there was thick ice on the puddles and as we approached the village down our little lane it was so slippery that we gave up the fight and came back a different way - I was scared of falling over.

But the walk was lovely. A little owl flew in front of us until we came to the edge of his territory. I tried to get a photograph of him, but he was far too clever for me and kept making tik-tik-tik noises, telling me to get off his patch.

The frost has removed the bark from an old tree stump in our top Mill Lane field and it has revealed such beautiful colours and interesting nooks and crannies - surely these will make lovely summer homes for some creatures.

Speaking of small creatures I am reading Charles Darwin's Diary and last night read how he lifted a stone and found two rare beetles under it, so he put one in each hand. Then he saw a third rare beetle which he also wanted, so he popped one of the beetles in his mouth!!! It spurted acrid liquid on to his tongue and he spat it out, by which time the third beetle had gone. What these great men would do in the cause of science eh?

today's aros: In January bright sunny days mean cold frosty nights.

18 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Fascinating fact there about Darwin - you mentioned what lengths you will go to for your blogging friends - let's hope you don't come across any rare beetles when out and about Pat! lol!

Heather said...

Beautiful photos Pat, especially the moon. Love the story about Charles Darwin and the beetles!

Crafty Green Poet said...

we're having hard frosts too, but the clear night skies mean lovely views of the moon!

I love your first photo!

Arija said...

You captured that moon so well. I tried too then tried to paint what I had seen rather than what was on the camera and failed at that too . . . I'll keep trying though.

jeanette from everton terrace said...

My daughter, who has a Biology degree, is fascinated with Darwin and his quests. Must see if she's read his diary, perfect present.

annell4 said...

All so beautiful!

Carolee said...

Just popping in to tell you how much I love your blog and photos. Between painting and facebook, I don't seem to have the time for blog hopping that I used to, and your post today reminded me of what I'm missing. :)

Blessings,
~ Carolee

Lisa said...

I love reading your blog! I appreciate the frequency of your posts - it is a wonderful way for me to spend a few quiet moments of my too-busy day. Thanks for sharing your corner of the world!

steven said...

i love that darwin was so very human. not as human as you out there in your dresing gown!!! weaver!!! really..... steven

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

What a wonderful full moon we had the other night.
I like the moon against the pink sky, magical.x

angryparsnip said...

When I saw the first photo, I wanted to ask what day you took it on as I have a twilight rising moon photo I took on Wednesday that has the same feeling.
Of course I read your post and found out it was a morning photo.
Thank Goodness Charles did put any Arizona beetles in his mouth so many of our critters are poison. Loved the story though.

cheers, parsnip

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Love those photos, the landscape is so beautiful. And the icy puddle is like a dream picture you could get lost in.

The last bit made my mouth feel all funny!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Dear wonderful Weaver, I am awarding you the TFE medal for services to the magic and wonder of nature.It is a one-off award unique and priceless.You are the sole recipient. Keep it on your virtual mantelpiece.

Dinesh chandra said...

WINTER IS FOR CLOD BUT WE MAY EAT SOME OILY FOOD.

NICE

REGARDS
DINESH CHANDRA

The Weaver of Grass said...

The moral of the post I suppose is never to put a beetle in your mouth (either figuratively or metaphorically!)

bibbitybob said...

Those ice patterns are fab! I'm getting chilly just looking at those photos, brrr. The inside of my car was frozen up yesterday morning, I was hoping for sunshine and spring from Christmas onwards!!

Thanks for your encouragement, I do have a few bits to list I just need to get photographing :)

Jinksy said...

The rising sun photo is so full of atmosphere - it should be used as an inspirational prompy for Bloggers to write about!

Seth said...

These pictures bring nature right to me! Thanks for taking us along on the walk. Thanks for taking us along on the walk.