Wednesday 31 March 2010

Almost back to normal.

(Whatever that is)

Here, although there are plenty of signs of Spring in the garden (at the last count primula wanda, Jacksnipe daffodils, anemone blanda, aconites, snowdrops, tulips, pulmonaria and lenten roses andwinter jasmine), yesterday was a November in March day with thick fog which was very slow to clear and today is a December in March day with a cold North wind blowing straight down from the Arctic and a chilly sleet falling - commiserations for anyone from Scotland reading this, for I believe you have quite a lot of fresh snow.
I hope to be completely back to normal next week. The Physio has signed me off but told me not to lift anything at all and to do plenty of exercises and the plumber, as a Iwrite, is fitting the shower screen in the new bathroom.
This afternoon ten friends are coming as it is our Poetry afternoon. I have just been choosing what to read and decided, although the weather is awful, to have a Spring theme. Locksley Hall - just the first few verses, as far as the famous line about a young man's fancy lightly turning to thoughts of love (or as we always say - to things he has been thinking about all winter). A John Clare poem about Spring, a section of the Shropshire Lad and finally, my favourite April poem - Browning's Home Thoughts from Abroad. Wish you could join us, I can't tell you how relaxing it is to read out and to listen to poetry all afternoon.
We had a ride out over our local moor at the weekend and I forgot to take my camera - I did wish I had had it with me as they were burning huge stretches of heather on the grouse moors. It was hard to see where we were going but the smell was divine. They burn a section each year to help the heather to rejuvenate - grouse feed mainly on heather. Have you every eaten grouse? I can't bring myself to try it (that applies to pheasant too, one of which is standing outside my window this very moment) but I am told it tastes strongly of heather. I don't mind my honey tasting of heather but I don't fancy a heather-taste with gravy and game chips!
Have a nice day - it is good to be on the mend.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my!
So thrilling that your back is much improved Yes, do not carry anything, treat yourself gingerly!
This sounds a most wonderful day --poems for the season.
I think you should include Wordsworth's little one about putting on a woodland dress and giving the day to idleness (I should have looked it up!)
Sorry about the sleet......
Was deluging with rain here yesterday but today is meant to be nice.
We always used to love the English weather forecast
as in 'sunny intervals' (between what?) and 'brighter at first'!

Elizabeth said...

Ok here it is:
an excerpt anyway.....

Edward will come with you;--and, pray,
Put on with speed your woodland dress;
And bring no book: for this one day
We'll give to idleness.

Maggi said...

Good to hear that your back is doing so well. Spring sounds like a wonderful theme for your poetry day even though it seems to have gone into reverse gear at the moment

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

So glad to have you back Pat. Have a wonderful afternoon of poetry with your friends. Love that perky Springtime header!!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Glad you're feeling better, I couldn't eat game either,

Granny Sue said...

I am so glad you are feeling better, Weaver. When your back hurts it affects everything you do and think.

Your spring is ahead of ours but i'm enjoying the leisurely approach this year because the fruit trees have not yet bloomed so we may have a very good crop--the blossoms might not get frosted this year as they did last year.

Golden West said...

Wonderful news to hear that you are on the mend, Weaver. For sure the farmer and wee pup have both breathed sighs of relief!

Pondside said...

I'm so glad to hear that your back is getting better - but do take care, as one too-strenuous move could put you back flat.
I love the idea of an afternoon spent reading/listening to spring-themed poetry.

Tess Kincaid said...

Poetry afternoon? This sounds like sometime I would LOVE. Glad to hear your back is improving, Weaver. xx

mrsnesbitt said...

Oh yes the burning of the heather, we see it from our windows.
Good to hear you are getting better, take care.

Dxx

Arija said...

So glad you are on the mend . It is amazing how much you have been posting while unwell. I have only managed a few photos with the pain. Can't get my head around reading or cohesive thought.

PurestGreen said...

The snow has melted here in Edinburgh but last night my beloved and I walked home the theatre in a blizzard. He was shivering for an hour - just couldn't get warm. I think some spring-time poems are just the magic we need! Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Penny said...

Sounds like a lovely couple of days.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

So happy to hear you are almost back to normal! I should think the poetry afternoon would be just the thing... all those good fairies of verse gathered in your home!

Cloudia said...

Divine that you are feeling better.



Aloha from Hawaii my Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Dinesh chandra said...

I Love spring , Good post.

REGARDS


DINESH CHANDRA

Elisabeth said...

Welcome back, Weaver. It's good to hear you're on the mend. Your health seems to be coming back with the spring, and words, lots more wonderful words and poetry.

Heather said...

It's so good to hear that you are on the mend Pat. What a long time it has been - you must be so relieved. Don't even lift a heavy book! I can picture your group gathered together reading in turns, and enjoying eachothers contributions. Hope you escape any more snow and that spring has really arrived. It's cold down here but we've only had squally heavy showers with some hail.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for all the comments - I love Elizabeth's Wordworth quote don't you? Am just thinking what would be my woodland dress.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for all the comments - I love Elizabeth's Wordworth quote don't you? Am just thinking what would be my woodland dress.

BT said...

I am so glad your back is much imporved, that is great news. Jim and I both suffer on and off with rubbish backs and it is so debilitating. If you have exercises to do, keep them up.

I love the idea of reading and listening to poetry all afternoon. It sounds bliss.