Thursday 2 July 2009

Ten Minute Collage.


Following posts by Art Propelled and Melrose Musings I decided to have a shot at a ten-minute collage (Thanks to Robyn and Derrick for the idea). Because the weather here is so very hot and any activity ends in extreme exhaustion for me I also decided to "kill two birds with one stone" and make the collage from my bundle.

If you remember over one hundred bloggers joined Seth Apter's (The Altered Page) invitation to create a bundle from odds and ends and hang it outside to weather until May 1st. On that date we were instructed to take it down and (by August 1st) make it into a work of art.

Here is the result. The base is a piece of black card. On it I put my newspaper bundle, which I roughly tore into strips. I then added bits of scrim and bits and pieces which had been wrapped in the bundle when it was hung in the rowan tree. Everything is glued down.

When my ten minutes was up I laid a frame on it to give the piece some sort of shape. The only other thing I did was to zap a bit of tyvek with a heat tool and then get out gold and blue paint (you can't do anything for Seth without adding blue - it seems to be his preferred colour!) I daubed paint here and there but left some of the newpaper as it was.

What do you think of the result? Here it is then - Seth my bundle "transformed into an art work", Robyn and Derrick my "ten minute collage".

Phew! It is still too hot to move.

15 comments:

Dave King said...

Excellent result. Maybe that's the secret, no art should take longer than 10 minutes (give or take). I watched The David Hockney programme last night, and for his big project for the Royal Academy he ended up painting 50-something canvases in a month (I think it was, something ridiculous, any way.) Superb. So that's it. Severe time limits are the answer.

Unknown said...

Well done, Weaver!

I like the deep blue (blue is my favourite too) and the gold against the turquoise material. And I suppose it's only a slight cheat, with your materials being prepared over weeeeks!

steven said...

very nice weaver! i love the idea of weathering materials. it leaves things to chance which opens the door to creating art that is not entirely within your control. have a peaceful and (as cool as you can make it) day! steven

ArtPropelled said...

Wow, I am so impressed, Weaver! I just might do the same with my disintegration bundle....a 10 minute collage.

Chris said...

Forget the collage, I love that bundle-of-stuff-in-the-elements for-a-few-months idea! And really, no fair putting thst frame over it. You've outclassed all the other 10 minute collagers! Thanks for sharing.

Mistlethrush said...

Recyling artwork into more artwork - I wonder what you'll do with it next? I love the colours. Amazed you managed it in ten minutes.

Cat said...

I can't believe it took only 10 minutes and that it came from the bundle. It looks great.

Reader Wil said...

Ten minutes??? Unbelievable! You're a genius! I love the blue and gold!

Heather said...

Your collage is wonderful Weaver, and I love the colours you have used. Perhaps the time constraint made you work spontaneously and thus produced a livelier result than if you had had time to shift things around. I know that when I keep altering an arrangement things tend to get worse rather than better.

Crafty Green Poet said...

wonderful colours and patterns in there,,

Kim Palmer said...

Wow, talk about letting go! Congratulations, I know how hard this can be, but I bet you found it very freeing too! Great result Pat, it looks wonderful. Great depth for 10 minutes work, you should take a bow! Now off to put your feet up, that's enough work for one day, especially when it's hot, but I suspect you will find yourself thinking about your next collage attempt and cannot wait to try it again, LOL!

Seth said...

Great job here! Hard to believe this only took 10 minutes. Impressive. Love the layers and the color combination. And of course I had to laugh about you adding the blue!!

BT said...

Oh wow Weaver, that is wonderful, I think the tyvek makes it. I love the stuff. I haven't done mine yet and it reminded me that I must do something with it. That is brilliant, needs enlarging to see the full effects. Well done.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for the comments. I did achieve it in ten minutes, but bear in mind the stuff was all to hand. Slapping the paint on and zapping the tyvek piece was the longest job - and it shrivels like mad. Agree with Derrick that it was a bit of a cheat as all the stuff was to hand - so - Derrick - I shall have another go from scratch one day soon.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

This looks great, Weaver! I like the idea of using the 'bundle'.

Just reading Dave Kings's comment - Maureen and I watched the David Hockney programme too and were fascinated. I really like his recent landscapes in Yorkshire.