Tuesday 20 January 2009

Live donkeys and dead lions again!

,A couple of days ago I put on a post about the failed attempt one hundred years ago by Sir Ernest Shackleton to reach the Geographical South Pole. At the time his return was treated as a Great Occasion and he was hailed as a hero although he had failed to meet his objective. He made headline news in almost every newspaper and was honoured by organisations like The Royal Geographical Society.
Today, in a side column, on Page 4 of The Times, there is a tiny little piece.
Three descendants of the Shackleton expedition have reached the South Pole using Shackleton's own compass! Henry Worsley (47), Will Gow (35) and Henry Adams (34) have arrived at the South Pole after trecking 900 miles on foot. They speak of their arrival, using the old compass, as a very humbling experience.
I suppose in an era when going to the moon is "old hat" such a trek is relatively unimportant, but I say three cheers for their achievement. What a pity they didn't get more publicity.

To all my U S blogger friends may I say - we shall be watching the inauguration ceremony this afternoon. Here is wishing you all the very best for the future - let us hope a new era has begun.

13 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Glad you brought these explorers to our attention.
All credit to them.
Yes, a BIG day here in America.
Haven't EVER been so excited for a public event... and am generally wary of 'mass emotion'.

The Solitary Walker said...

Let's drink to a New Era - for the US, for Europe and for the whole world. I have great hopes, eternal optimist as I am - I think he may be the greatest President for a very long time - but, as he and Michelle have repeated continually, he can't do it on his own - and I think the American people have responded positively to this. Let's all work together...

Caroline Gill said...

Yes, here's to President Obama and our US friends!

I had just finished my Land&Lit blog entry about Scott (of the Wildfowl & Wetland Trust & his father the explorer) when I read your fascinating entry about Shackleton & the compass!

Gigi Ann said...

What an accomplishment of the explorers. Thanks for sharing the story.

HelenMWalters said...

Hear, hear! To both of those things.

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Hi Weaver! I can finally leave comments, I think i have fixed my problem, so I've been catching up today! You have had some really fun, informative, and lovely posts lately!!! Your blog is always such a joy to read! I really loved your post on the sheep...I dont know much about them but I always seem to learn more each time you write about them...as you know I love ALL animals and I'm always wanting to learn more! So thanks!
Glad all the girls had pink bottoms! Good news! Glad the lover-boy did his job! :-D

Janice Thomson said...

We here in Canada are happy for our US friends on this historical day!
I agree with you Weaver these people's trek is still a monumental feat - certainly not one I could accomplish. Thanks for giving them prominence on your blog.

Mistlethrush said...

Well I think walking to the south pole is still a great achievement! A long way through all the cold.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Marvellous inauguration speech - we watched it on television and at the end had a sense that perhaps it was a new beginning for us all.
Thanks for the comments everyone - have visitors still, so limited time. Also I have been out for a meal and rather drunk too much wine !!

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

This is a big day in our country's history. I am hopeful for change and a brighter future. Our office televised the inauguration and swearing in of our 44th president. Almost 40 people gathered in the conference room. Not a sound was uttered as everyone was focused on President Obama's acceptance speech. Yes, it's a happy day here in the U.S.

Robin Mac said...

I can't believe that here in Australia we didn't hear a thing about the descendants of Shackleton reaching the South Pole - what a wonderful achievement and such a shanme there was so little publicity.

Dragonstar said...

That was an incredible achievement. What a fascinating thing for those men to have done.

Lyn said...

I found you because of Raph's award to you. I've been rewarded.
The walk, truly a great accomplishment. I highly recommend the film "Encounters at the End of the Earth", directed by Werner Herzog. A great adventure in Antarctica, so beautiful.
Thanks...
Lyn