Saturday 1 April 2023

What shall we do tonight?

Is it just me or has the quality of television programmes gone downhill?   I don't care for Soaps so watch none of them.  I quite like some of the Antiques programmes although many of them are repeats.   Breakfast television I enjoy as it keeps me up to date with the News.   I never watch serials which involve Murders - I live alone and I don't watch anything which might keep me awake after I have gone to bed - or cause me to have scary dreams.  Now and again there will be something really interesting - like a recent series called 'Villages by the Sea' which told about things other than fishing which took place there - like Alum mining at Staithess in North Yorkshire (I have been many times to Staithes but never knew about it) but by and large there are many nights when there is nothing I wish to see (apart from BBC4 every Saturday when they are showing 'pruned' versions of all the old Michael Palin travel series - so far 'Pole to Pole', 'Around the World in 80 Days', and now, starting this evening the first part of another of his wonderful travel series from years ago.   And there are also wonderful wildlife programmes with incredible photography.  But so much of what is on is 'rubbish', what I call fill in programmes.

I sat here this morning thinking what did we do before TV?

In our village every Tuesday night was 'Threepenny Hop' night, when all us young ones went to the Village Hall and danced to records played on an old Radiogram (remember those?)  controlled by the Vicar. ( Remember The Palais Glide?).And every Friday night there was a Whist Drive which was always packed out and had good prizes.   As a teenager I used to go sometimes with my mother.   Once I won first prize and chose an embroidered tablecloth rather than a joint of sirloin of beef given by the local butcher,   I don't think my mother really ever forgave me for that.  She was a fanatical whist player and had had her eye on that beef all night.

There were three pubs in the village - The Royal Oak, The Ferry Boat and The Hunter's Leap.   The Royal Oak had good darts facilities and the Hunter's Leap had a billiards table which you could book.   My father, brother and brother in law had a permanent booking for three hours each Friday night.

In addition there was the radio to listen to (I can even remember when we had an old valve radio) and I recall the old favourites - ITMA, Henry Hall's Guest Night and the (often very scary 'Saturday Night Theatre) and of course 'Dick Barton - Special Agent' (remember that?)

When I first married the farmer some of the old traditions still remained up here - one being the Domino Drives.   They were especially popular around Christmas time when almost every village had one.   Refreshments were provided in the interval.   The farmer was a dab hand at dominoes and I (an absolute novice at the game) used to go with him.   The most popular one around where we lived was at a village called Carlton in Coverdale - I think the main attraction was the home made mince pies in the interval (everyone got two on  a plate and it was pot luck - some of the ladies made beautiful mince  pies, some were pretty basic).

These days with all the games on computers and on mobile phone this must sound very old fashioned and out-of-date' but of course every dog has its day and no doubt in another eighty years things will have changed again (unless we have all been nuked out of existence).

But my domino-playing never really improved and at the Carlton drive one Christmas I without thinking completely blocked the game by making the line a five at each end with the last five available.   There was uproar from my 'partner' (you moved around so I had ended up playing with the champion domino player I didn't know.)   A few years ago I saw in the local paper that he had died.   I fully expect he remembered my faux-pas until the day he died.

25 comments:

Ana Dunk said...

Here in MIchigan, USA, I belong to a social club of women who sometimes get together about once a month to play board games. Currently we play Rummikub, a game similar to Gin Rummy but with table tiles and as many as 4 or 5 can play at a table. We also play a domino game called Mexican Train, again where as many as six can play at a large table. Euchre and pinochle card games are also popular in our group, but I don't play those. In our community there are often tournaments for Euchre and Poker where one pays to play and then hopes to win door prizes.

Rachel Phillips said...

Well how you deal with it, how I deal with it and how your parents dealt with it are totally different matters is all I can say.

JayCee said...

I do remember as a child, before the arrival of the TV, we used to play various card games at home. When my Gran visited we had to let her win as she got quite carried away if she lost.

Thelma Wilcox said...

Times change. I don't watch television anymore. ATM I am on my tablet seeing if I can write a comment. Never watched a soap, they demand a daily routine. I have been watching documentaries. There is a freedom to choose anything today. Thelma

Granny Sue said...

No TV service at our house, but we watch movies on DVD, and own quite a few of the BBC series. We also get Netflix by mail, which is nice as we can get more unusual movies and fairly recent releases. Other than that, we read, catch up with blogs, etc.
As a girl, TV was a rarity for my family. We had chores to do in the evenings even though we lived in town, because in such a large family as ours there was so much to be done. After dinner, we cleared the table washed and dried dishes, cleaned up the kitchen and dining room, got the little children to bed and during school, did our homework. We also had to iron our dresses for the next day. So evenings were busy, and then Dad had us all in bed by 9pm.

Heather said...

Wonderful memories. I remember being scared of Dick Barton - Special Agent. My grandparents always listened to it. I agree with you re the quality of TV at present. It seems to get worse each year. I do enjoy Strictly, The Repair Shop and The Great Pottery Showdown. Other than that it's repeats of things I enjoyed the first time round and am happy to watch again.

Librarian said...

Much of my TV watching is the news (I do not own a paper), both regional and national/international ones. For entertainment, I use Netflix, Apple TV and documentaries from the archives of several TV stations; those programs often are aired at times impossible for me when I have to be up early for work, but from the libraries/archives, I can watch them when I like.
My Dad never liked board games, but we often gathered atbmy parents‘ place with two or three friends joining us for an evening of games, while he would partly watch TV and partly listen to our conversation (it is an open plan kitchen/dining/sitting area there, so he could easily participate in conversation with us around the dining table and he on the settee).
At my local, every Tuesday is quiz night, but my team and I usually only manage to go every four to six weeks. Then there are the fortnightly meetings with my volunteer group and evenings spent with my Mum and sister, and of course with O.K on weekends. All that limits the amount of time I spend watching TV.

Chris said...

We have one TV channel which can be relied on to have something interesting most nights. And it's the only one that is commercial free! I am out three nights a week for Scottish Country dancing. You may have seen some of the dances we do on my blog, if you ever visit. Then there is a monthly dance with live music. Lovely!
During the day my local Senior's Centre has bridge, billiards, Euchre, Mah-jong and Bingo as well as art and fitness classes so there is always something to do around here! And also Probus meetings once a month with an interesting speaker and a chance to socialize over coffee. The weekends are my chance to spend time at home and rejuvinate for the upcoming week.

jinxxxygirl said...

TV is terrible now Pat... If anything i usually get on YouTube and can find an old good movie on there that maybe i haven't seen in years or something.. Hubby usually reads ... Most nights i will go in my art/craftroom and play... or maybe write a letter.. One day a week we will get on the desk top computer and play a Seek and Find game together.. we enjoy that.. Now years ago we used to go over to a friends house and play games.. there used to be GOOD shows on TV to watch... We have never been ones to go out dancing or drinking or anything like that.. we are quiet people.. Hugs! debs

Red said...

We didn't get TV until the mid fifties and then it was one channel. People visited. They participated in community activities. I don't watch one minute of TV all year. There's lots of other things to be busy at.

Cro Magnon said...

I totally agree about TV. I can't stand all the murders, explosions, violence, 'reality' shows, celebrity quizzes, soaps, etc, etc. That doesn't leave me much to watch. I listen to my radio instead.

Derek Faulkner said...

I read somewhere yesterday, that the BBC will be making thousands less programmes now, in order to cut back on expenditure, presumably they'd rather pay one man over a million pounds a year to talk about football a couple of times a week!
I think ever since my family got their first old black and white TV in the late fifties, the debate about how good the programmes are, has raged and will always continue to do so. I'd never be without a TV but it's just about picking and choosing what you yourself likes and accepting that other people like what you don't.
Most of us of a certain age can recall taking part in the various pub or village games such as you mention but inevitably they became seen as old-fashioned as entertainment moved on.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I last had regular access to a TV about 35 years ago and it was pretty bad then. Cards, dominoes, draughts, Monopoly, jigsaw puzzles used to get us through the winter evenings when I was young. In summer I don't think anyone went indoors till bedtime, which of course was much earlier in those days as anyone getting up after six in the morning was considered a person of leisure (and it was not always put as politely as that, was it?)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting to read how you all spend your spare time - seems we all watch only a little TV rather than just watching rvery night.
Heather - I watched - and thoroughly enjoyed The Great Pottery Throwdown - I really thought the right one won - but their skill and their ability to turn their hand to each challenge was admirable.

VC said...

I'm still in my 50s Pat but have a radiogram and lots of records. I listen to the radio more than watch the TV and never watch the cheap, rubbish reality TV that seems to be so popular nowadays.
As the youngest child by a decade (so very like an only child really) of very hard working parents (both working full-time in physically demanding jobs) I was really left to amuse myself rather than playing board games. Like Granny Sue I had chores to do every evening as well as friends to play with outside when younger.
When I was 11 I went off to grammar school which was 2 bus rides away so I left early in the morning and did not get home until late and then had to help both my mum and dad with preparing dinner and washing and clearing up (we worked as a team), then homework and bed.
I considered myself lucky to have lots of books bought as gifts so read a lot and still do.
I'm not a lover of soaps so don't watch them but do occasionally watch sport, the occasional period drama, documentaries or a film.
My husband likes TV more than I but tends to watch old films or TV shows,sport, the news, things about restoring cars and antique shows. I often say that TV was turned on to watch specific things when I was young then switched off when that ended so I've never really got into the habit of having the TV on all the time.
When colleagues discuss what they are currently watching I'm completely out of the loop but that's ok. I'm sure that watching scary things in the evening is not condusive to a good night's sleep and so many programmes and computer games seem to be violent nowadays.
A few years ago our TV broke and I was quite happy without it but after six months my husband missed it so we bought a new one. Our TV is so much smaller than the enormous cinema screen sized monstrosities that seem to be the norm nowadays. I'm not anti TV but it is not the be all and end all that's for sure!
Long rant over. Happy Sunday everyone!

the veg artist said...

I use the taping facility most days. I don't like having to choose between what is on at the time, so I go through the Radio Times every week, marking what I want to watch. BBC4 and Sky Arts feature heavily. I like films, including some sci-fi, but I'm not fond of 'dramas', soaps or real life crime, but the one thing I would never watch are those danger-on-the-roads programmes, high-speed chases and crashes. They would put me off ever going on the road again.

Tom Stephenson said...

My parents were addicted to TV when there were only two channels. I stopped watching it after I left home at 16. Now I am very selective, and it` is a shame to see the BBC being run down and dismantled.

Anonymous said...

Your BBC runs in the early morning hours here, and I find it fascinating and informative when I wake during the night.
I watch little t.v. and am a radio person - so many fascinating people interviewed, and lovely book reviews.
SBS has some interesting movies occasionally on t.v. though, and "Not Without My Daughter' featuring Sally Field, was on recently. I read the book in the 1980's, and it is hard to both read and watch. Quite terrifying and astounding.
I watch shows which show English scenery, as it brings back travel memories and ancestral ties. - Pam, S. Aust.

Susan said...

Nobody in my family has ever been terribly fond of TV. I sense, it is only the sports fans that get great value from their TV. One friend, created a media room with comfy chairs exclusively for watching sports on a big screen with surround sound. They hold Super Bowl Football parties each year. I do like the party but have no interest in football. As for general TV, there is not much quality programming and the travel, landscape, antique and home building/renovation programs that I used to enjoy are now repeats.

Ellen D. said...

Last night I watched Father Brown and Death in Paradise - 2 shows I like on my Public Television Station. Both are mystery solving shows but not too scary for me.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you everyone.

Gerry Snape said...

We think it was one of the best. When something difficult is being made I ask Alan if he could do it....he always says of course!!

Anonymous said...

You tube for me, nothing worth seeing on tv in Toronto. gg

John Going Gently said...

I think people FEEL sophisticated
Too sophisticated for simple nights out which are often more fun

Margaret Butterworth said...

If you think your TV is bad, you should try ours in Australia!