Saturday 2 July 2022

Ready and waiting.

 I am all ready and waiting for my Grand daughter and her husband with Ula (5) and Hewie (7  months) tea all laid out in the kitchen, cling-filmed salads and strawberried..   I have been all morning as I go so slowly these days but it is almost three years since I saw them other than on Zoom.   The dining room is laid ready once they have chosen what to eat.   One thing I am not short of is trolleys to wheel the plates through - folk with handicaps are well catered for in that department in Richmondshire.,

After a wet start the sun is out and there is a brisk wind blowing.   The presents are hidden (she doesn't know about them.   For Ula - a ballet rainbow tutu dressing up skirt, a pencil case holding a set of different 'strength' pencils and a set of pencil crayons, a good quality sketch book and a face cloth embroidered by a loyal follower (thank you again dear follower if only I could remember your name.)   For Hewie a Teddy I have knitted which  friend S has sewn up and finished off (nose!). a bib again embroidered by loyalfollower - thank you) and a cheque to make up the amount spent to the same for each of them.  All waiting - the food took me so long to prepare.

Now I can go and watch the tennis again - I watched a lot of it yesterday and it was  a real treat to see.   I might be around lter in the day to tell you how it all went if I am not too tired,

Well at half past seven they have just gone.   They were intending to stay at a nearby hotel but instead are staying at The Jonas Centre a nearby Christian Centre with log cabins for guests.   They stayed there last evening - only around five miles from here.   We have had a lovely day - the presents were a great success especially the tutu and the sketch - book    she has spent the whole day sketching (while wearing the tutu),   The new baby is a good natured chap in spite of suffering from excema and also teething.  I spent the whole morning getting the meal ready, covering it in clingfilm and then covering the whole lot with a cloth.   I had just sat down with a cup of tea when they arrived.   But it was a joy to see them all and I have enjoyed it immensely.   Now I shall make myself a cuppa and sit down to watch Montelbano.



16 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

How wonderful it will be to see your family and experience Ula's delight over her gifts! I remember my parents saying that for their small nephews, it wasn't how much money was spent, it was all about having the same number of gifts!
The food you readied sounds delicious and am sure all will enjoy it.
I imagine your shiner will be the topic of conversation for about two minutes. Then fun!
Oh, happy day!

Hugs!

hart said...

I hope you all have a wonderful time together.

Susan said...

Enjoy your family visit. The children grow so quickly and it will be fun for you to see them.
The presents will be a nice surprise too. The lovely meal you have waiting sounds delicious.
I'd let the guests do the serving. They might volunteer. If not, give them a gentle nudge. I hope your swelling and eyes are less sore.

Terra said...

How delightful to have young ones for a visit and to see how they enjoy your gifts. Art supplies are a great idea.

Ellen D. said...

Hope your day has been terrific!

Melinda from Ontario said...

Ula will never forget the joy she felt on her gift hunt in your home. What a lovely visit you have planned. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Heather said...

What a treat to see your family in person rather than on Zoom. I can just picture your little granddaughter in her lovely tutu and I hope her little brother was not in too much discomfort from the exzema and teething. I also hope you are not too tired after all that effort and am sure they all enjoyed themselves and the feast you had prepared.

Anonymous said...

How lovely ! - Pam.

Jennifer said...

That sounds like a wonderful afternoon for you, Pat! I loved reading about it and I know your family had a great time visiting with you. Ula sounds like a delightful little girl!

Debby said...

It sounds like a wonderful afternoon! You will sleep well tonight.

thelma said...

It does sound like a wonderful day, the children happy, the food good and a long awaited meeting with your family.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Glad you enjoyed their visit, those gifts sound amazing!

Rachel Phillips said...

What a good thing one of your blog friends suggested the tutu ......ahem.

Tom Stephenson said...

Yes, we discovered the last Montalbano last night which we had never seen before. I thought that I much prefer Livia to his new bird.

Librarian said...

Like Susan, I thought your granddaughter and her husband were certainly going to do the serving - it is only natural when you are visiting someone who is much older than yourself, and/or has mobility issues.
Was your shiner remarked upon at all?
Anyway, it sounds like a delightful day with your family, for them as much as for you.

Mary said...

All sounded really lovely dear Pat - I know they all must have been appreciative of your efforts - preparing food is not so easy as we age!
Art done while dressed in a tutu sounds perfect - little Ula is pointed in the right direction toward an enjoyable a creative life I feel.
Hope you are resting up now - and have some tasty leftovers to nibble on.

I'm back from Devon and had such a wonderful time - including too many cream teas! The fish 'n chips were delicious, and plentiful, with haddock and cod right out of Brixham waters! I'm homesick already!

Hugs, Mary