Monday 16 May 2022

This and that.''

 First a laugh to start off your day.   I put a thank you comment on yesterdays replies box.   Meant to put 'plants' but instead I put 'pants' - luckily I saw it and deleted it before Tom's eyes lighted on it - can't imagine what joke he would have made of that!!! Good old Tom - you can always rely on him to make me laugh.

Now regarding the tutu skirt - my grand daughter has said she will open the parcel and inspect it - she says she will know whether it will fit or not - and then she will post it back to me so that I can hide it when they come.   Lovely idea don't you agree?

How well all my family look after me and try to keep me cheerful - as do all of you thank you.   It is not always easy to keep cheerful but I do try and little things like this and funny comments indeed any kind of comment from you, brightens my day.  So thank you all.

Well over the week-end we have had every kind of weather.   Saturday was undoubtedly the best day this year up here in The Dales - warm, sunny, cloudless and with very little wind.   A perfect day for a walk and plenty of folk (and dogs) around for passing chats.   Yesterday the sun never broke through all  day and there was a strongish breeze.   As no possibility of frost was forecast I left the plants waiting to be potted up for by my front door out all night and I was awakened by the sound of them doing a song and dance act round the front lawn in the pouring rain (only kidding).  As I write this at twenty past eleven (am) it is still raining quite heavily and already everything in the garden is showing how much they are enjoying it.   I have left a message on the phones of both my gardeners saying if they want a job do feel free to come round (I am in all day) and do my pots in the garage (I want to be there when they are done as I am trying a new planting scheme this year.)  So far no reply.

I seem to have a permanently residential pair of Jackdaws around - mostly on the lawns (did think they were crows but now realise they are not big enough.)   I can't imagine where they are nesting - I have no chimneys - as yet have seen no young.   I think the crow family are much maligned so I am quite happy to welcome them but I would like to know where they are.  In fact I have as yet seen no this year's baby birds around -I usually have young robins in the garden but no sign so far.

Well

tthat is today's chat over so see you tomorrow.


15 comments:

Maudie said...

We are blessed this year with lots of baby cardinals. So much flittering and chatting - Max and Fio are looking out the windows wondering how to get to them!

Anonymous said...

What a good resolution to the tutu fitting issue! I have to look up jackdaws as we don't have them and now I am curious. We do have at least one very large crow that comes and sits on a porch railing waiting to be brought peanuts. He worked hard to train us and we try hard to please.

ceci

jinxxxygirl said...

One year in Arkansas .... if you remember we lived amongst those huge old pine trees.. We had a family of hawks AND a family of crows in our trees and oh how they harrassed each other... However they both managed to raise young ... the next year the hawks found somewhere else to nest... but my what a Spring and Summer with them.. Hugs! debs

Susan said...

Finally, to be frost free and able to plant everything without risk of loss. The same can be said in the US. Hopefully, your gardeners will come by in a day or two. This must be their busy time of the year. All is well with the tutu and that's a good thing.

thelma said...

I am very fond of jackdaws. There was a pair who lived in the old tree in the churchyard and always brought up their young there each year. I think the corvids get a bad name purely because they are black and have sharp looking claws. But they are also intelligent.

Librarian said...

It would have probably still been enough to simply measure the waistband of the tutu, and as has been said before, mostly they are elastic. But never mind, you made it, and the tutu will undoubtedly be a big hit with the little girl!
Crows, magpies, jackdaws - I really like them all, but I must admit I can easily say that because I have no crops to defend and no lambs or other young animals to protect. Also, here in town there is always traffic noise; even when the magpies make a racket (as they sometimes do), it does not bother me as much as for instance the noise coming from a construction site nearby. They are clever and beautiful birds with rich social lives.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am always envious of your cardinals whenever I have seen them in the US on my visits.

Rambler said...

So good to read that it's not just me who loves the Jackdaws; I currently have 2 adults and a well-grown youngster coming daily to my bird table. However, I'm not so keen on the Magpies which chase off anything else; my small birds (Sparrows, Robins, Bluetits,) are losing out. Even the Blackbird makes a hasty exit when the Magpies appear. The other menaces are the seagulls who scream and shout as they circle around. I wonder if any of the gulls ever go to the sea to enjoy some fish???- it's about 10 miles away from my home in Cornwall.
- Rosemary

Bonnie said...

What a wonderful plan with the tutu! I know it will be fun for you to hide it and then see her face when she finds it. How nice that you had such good weather on Saturday. The sun makes a walk much better! I hope your new week has started off well!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rosemary - I don't think I have seen a magpie since I came to live up here thirty years ago


Thanks everyone for your replies.

Joanne Noragon said...

That's a great plan for the tutu. I'm not familiar with hiding birthday presents.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

We have a crow family of 3 that had their nest in the neighbor's big pine tree, but on our side of the fence. They have a tree or two in several neighbors' yards where the spend time. Last week they were training their chick to fly from one big tree to the other. They caw back and forth to the chick in a different tone than they do about other things. Unfamiliar people walking on our street really get the loudest ,meanest caws, they say nothing about the mailman, or amazon delivery person, there is a cat that hunts birds and rabbits who the crows have decided is their mortal enemy. And the crows keep a close eye out for any type of hawk,and we have a wide variety of them. The crows are as loud as the tornado sirens when a hawk of any kind is spotted. All of the other birds fly for cover and so do the squirrels. I hope the crow family will stay here forever.
I love to see them walking around stiff legged in our neighbors yard like it was their private park. They usually end their time in that yard by sitting on the head of her beautiful fountain that has a lady standing with it. I can't see anything that the crows do that is a nuisance, and they are a very good security system if any unfamiliar people walk on our streets.

Tom Stephenson said...

Spoilsport.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Jackdaws will nest in all sorts of places, including holes in trees or in stone walls....

The Weaver of Grass said...

Susie - what a lovely description of your shared crow family. I am so pleased they have chosenyou - someone who likes them.


Thank you everyone.