Friday 27 May 2022

May

 Well, any day now we shall be saying 'good-bye' to another May.   How quickly the months fly by.

I must say that the Hawthorne blossom (or 'May  Blossom' as we always called it) has been particularly beautiful this year and so lived up to its name.   The blackthorne was beautiful so no doubt we shall have plenty of sloes. I think up here in the Dales we are particularly aware if it because last year we had such a 'cruel' April with very sharp frosts which destroyed much of the early blossom.

In my garden pink is slowly taking over as the predominant colour - pink geranium clumps are all over the garden - don't know its name but it is one of the really common perennial geraniums.   Pink alliums are popping up here  and there, as is London Pride and a pink flower I was given a snippet of and which I have split up several times and which stays out ages once it is ready.   Two large clumps of pink osteo spermum are already out (when the sun is out - if the sun goes in its shows its displeasure).   A new osteospermum I bought and put in a pot on the front doorstep (in full sun)is already fast catching up the pink one and certainly has no intention of hiding its light under a bushel. It has turned out to be orange.

Again it has been too windy for Priscilla and me to walk round the block.   A whole week has passed  and I am trying to do exercises to stop me going backwards, but it isn't the same.   I can feel myself stiffening up and can do little about it.   Tonight is the last Chelsea Flower Show.   I shall miss it although as someone said on here earlier in the week, they do show the same gardens over and over.  Perhaps they show it all for a bit too long.

My friend S has just been with lovely brown eggs from their hens.   Nothing like a fresh brown egg with a yolk of pure gold.  The hens have the run of most of the garden (but not where the veggies are or there would be no fresh veggies.)   Nothing else of interest has happened so I will sign off until tomorrow - see you all then.



I don't know whether to blame it on being retired so that I can't separate week days and week ends in my head or whether it is plain 'old age' but I can rarely name what day it is without a lot of deep though   This morning I woke up thinking it was Saturday.   Now I know it is Friday but in my head it will be Saturday all day.   Now I shall go and read 'Friday's paper' - that is one way to help a bit.   See you later.

Well it is now seven pm (and only an hour to the last programme on the Chelsea Flower Show.) and it is still blowing a howling (and very cold) ga



13 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

My sweet MIL used to say that walking through the house didn't help as much as walking outside, but on rainy, windy, or snow days it was better than sitting still. There are book on exercising while seated, so she did that, too.

As I mentioned, we can see Chelsea on You Tube, but the editing is awful. Someone got it into their heads that they could show repeats of many presenters talking but put loud, unpleasant "music" over their repeat words to take up time, I suppose. Bad decision!

It's good to hear your garden is full of eye candy in the flowers and their colors. Enjoy!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

When I had chooks, rarely referred to as hens in Aust, I mixed a little bit of lecithin in with their mash. The yolks were beautiful rich and golden, unlike the pale offerings from supermarket eggs. I was only thinking the other day how rare it is to hear a rooster crow in the start of a new day, quite a usual occurrence growing up in the late 50's. Times change and housing developments are full of compacted houses with no land, and no chooks or roosters! Keep well Pat. -Pam.

it's me said...

We have been gifted a beautiful clear cool day after already having a bit of tropical storminess earlier this week. The first swallowtail butterflies showed up in my flowerbeds this morning.

Rachel Phillips said...

I have to check the day and the date everyday if I need to know them. If I don't then I don't check.

Susan said...

The pink flowers in your garden sound really lovely. It is always very rewarding when the garden thrives and provides much pleasure. If you feel stiff and are having difficulty with movement, try to cut out sugar and salt. Eat more protein. Vegetables are always excellent too. A review with a nutritionist might be beneficial.

Joanne Noragon said...

Colored flowers in the garden are a joy.

sparklingmerlot said...

I have to pick my granddaughter up from school three days a week. I am waiting for the day I turn up on a Saturday! Your garden sounds delightful. Hard to not be able to do it yourself any more but how lovely you have good gardeners who think like you.

Ellen D. said...

Have a good weekend, Pat! Hope you get out side with Priscilla... Enjoy your blooms!

Cro Magnon said...

It was only this year that I noticed the red flowering May trees. I have one very good white one, but I'm tempted to plant a red one as well.

Bonnie said...

Your garden sounds so pretty with all the pink flowers blooming! I think many of us that are retired get our days mixed up easily. I know I do all the time. I think what matters is that if we have any appointments we remember them. I even set reminders on my phone when I do have an appointment so then my phone will remind me.

Librarian said...

I keep a diary, both for appointments etc. and to take notes of where I have walked and so on, and that helps me keeping on track with what date and day of the week it is. But I often think it is a different day of the week when a bank holiday comes in between.

thelma said...

It is a good thing to find you have actually gained a day and not lost one but I think we all suffer from the same problem.

Melinda from Ontario said...

I've struggled with absent mindedness my whole life. The only way I could manage a career and children was to write everything down that needed to be done each week. I kept a running list at work and at home. Now that I'm retired, I still like to keep a calendar for appointments and a list of things that need doing. I will always be a bit scatter brained but at least on paper, I'm organized.