Sunday 17 October 2021

Typical Autumn

 It has been one of those typical Autumn days - neither wet nor dry. neither light nor dark, neither warm nor cold - all day.   Each time I decided to go for my walk round huge black clouds billowed in and the odd drop of rain fell.   Suddenly about half past two the sun broke through so Priscilla and I set off.   We had got no further than a hundred yards from the house when the sun disappeared again but it kept dry and we did our usual circuit, met our usual dogs and their owners, took a little bit longer (stopped to stroke a couple of elderly Labradors who only had two speeds - slow and very slow) - and also to stroke three cats who I meet most days and who all cross the road to say hello.

We met an elderly (and dare I say rather overweight) black pug who I  meet most days.   I used to have a black pug called Algy (after the pug in Rupert Bear you may remember) whom I loved dearly.    His owner and I chatted today because he told me that whenever they walk a tabby cat appears and comes up to the pug for a 'chat'.   We  speculated on whether they spoke in 'cat' or 'dog'.  Whichever neither like to move on until they have finished their conversation.   I think that;s rather nice don't you?

Friends T and S called for a coffee this morning and spent a pleasant half hour.   And as I set off at two thirty I realised that it was the time my dear Grandson and his partner were marrying.   Of course his Mum and Dad - and his sister -were at the wedding (his brother works in China so would not be there)  but we decidedd - rightly - that the  whole thing would be 'too much'    for both Grannies (both of us almost ninety) so we are going to have to witness it on line.   As long as they are happy together that is all that matters.   And I look forward to showing you my great grand daughter's 'outfit' for the wedding which has been kept firmly under wraps but grannies not attending have been given a preview.

It is now five o'clock but could just as easily be six as it is almost dark.   So many things to watch on television this evening that I am spoilt for choice.   I hope to watch The Earthshot Prize, A Year in Provence (I so enjoyed the book many years ago) and then later on record The Best of the Summer Antiques Roadshow - and not forgetting Strictly Results of course.

Whatever you are doing or watching this evening - enjoy your evening.   See you tomorrow.

13 comments:

JayCee said...

Seems to have been a very pleasant day, despite the non-weather.
I hope you enjoy your evening viewing.

the veg artist said...

My little cat will not talk to another cat, let alone converse with a dog! The very idea! Looking forward to photos of the wedding.

Debby said...

I love that you know the animals on your route!

Ellen D. said...

Another nice day for you! I just got back from a walk too but I didn't see anyone to talk to! Still the sun was shining and the weather is crisp but not too cool! Perfect! Enjoy your evening!

CharlotteP said...

Nice to hear of a cat and dog 'chatting'...Turbo's whiskers are bristling at the very thought of it. Next door's cat loves to saunter past my glass fronted door, down our drive - it drives him mad!

The Feminine Energy said...

Congratulations to the newlyweds... and I'm glad you used common sense & didn't attend. Weddings can be overwhelming as it is, let alone when you're near 90. My 84yo auntie attended an important wedding last weekend and yep, she ended up in the hospital by 3am on Sunday morning! So rather than that, I'm glad you were home... enjoying all the things you enjoy right there in your home & neighborhood. ~Andrea xoxoxo

Heather said...

After a wet start we have had quite a pleasant day, and as darkness began to fall I spent a lovely time watching the moon rise in an almost clear sky. Glad you could get out for your walk and those lovely chats with dogs, cats and people.

Chris said...

I loved "A Year in Provence" - have watched it several times and read the book. Provence is one of my favourite places to visit. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Bonnie said...

Congratulations to your Grandson and his bride! It is nice when you go for your walk and you run into others to visit with and of course their pets as well. I never thought about a cat and dog having a conversation but if they have become friends, why not! I hope the remainder of your Sunday has been enjoyable!

Joanne Noragon said...

Your animal adventures are worth the writing.

Mary said...

Your weekend sounded busy enough and full of small yet lovely moments. I like that the cats cross the road to greet you. We have new neighbors across the street - they have tabby who was staring through my dining window yesterday - it was quite a surprise!
Take care when on your walks with Priscilla - some kitties like to walk between our legs and can cause problems.
Enjoy the last autumn days before those winter blasts arrive - I just know it must be pretty in your area right now.
Hugs - Mary

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for your good wishes to the newly weds - I have passed them on. My son rang to say it had all gone off well.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love your description of your walk with all the dogs and cats you meet! And it's so sweet that the pug and tabby cat always stop to chat to reach other.

Hope your grandson and his partner had a lovely wedding.