Monday 21 June 2021

A New Week begins.

 Everywhere down South of a line from Birmingham to the Wash as they used to say when they divided the country into sections,  is desperate for the rain to cease,   Here in the North our gardens are sadly in need of a decent downpour but none is forthcoming.   Today is cold, cloudy and breezy.   I have added two more layers as the day has gone on.  But it is quite tempting to put on the central heating - on the Solstice.

Our fortnightly chat on Zoom with friends in Cumbria told a similar story of the weather over there.   These regular fortnightly chats, like visits to the hairdresser, my other Zoom with friends, Book Group and suchlike all mean that the days pass by quickly and it seems to be always the week end again.

In just the same way one of the things which makes the individual day pass quickly is my daily walk 'round the block'.   It takes me about three quarters of an hour, plus another quarter of an hour preparation and that is quite a large chunk out of the day.

So, what have I done today apart from the Zoom with friends P and D?   Well this morning friends S and T called for a quick visit and then called after lunch when T oiled a door for me and S kindly potted on the Gazania she bought me as a present towards the end of last week.   Now when the weather warms up again (towards the end of the week according to the weatherman) the pot can take up its spot by the front door where - in the full sun - it will open its yellow and brown striped face every time the sun shines on its flowers.

That's about the extent of today's news so I shall now go and watch Michael Portillo in his fancy attire riding a train somewhere or other.

10 comments:

JayCee said...

How strange the weather this month. Our usually wet and windy island is basking in warm-ish sunshine today. I am sure that will not last very long though!

CharlotteP said...

You are becoming a regular socialite! It is cold tonight, I'm going to wash up and then, maybe, put the heating on. Hope it's a bit warmer tomorrow, I'm having the door and window in the living room replaced.

Bonnie said...

You are blessed with many good friends! It is wonderful that something like Zoom has enabled so many people to get together without even leaving their house. I hope you've enjoyed your evening.

Heather said...

I have recently bought myself a lightweight quilted bedspread to use instead of a duvet during hot weather! Having washed the duvet and put it away I am contemplating getting out my warm pyjamas!
So nice that you have a few social contacts to break up the day.
I wish I could find a couple of trouser suits in some of the lovely colours that Michael Portillo wears!

Tom Stephenson said...

T oiling the door sounds like a highlight.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Now Tom - just watch it !!!

Rachel Phillips said...

Not to mention S potted on the Gazania.

Ellen D. said...

I was woken last night by the tornado sirens and so scurried down to the basement just in case. A tornado did do some damage to homes but far southeast of where I live. Funny how it hopped around and totally missed some homes while demolishing others. Thankfully, no fatalities, altho, a few people were injured.

Debby said...

It has been soooooo wet here. Far off thunder all the time. But I wanted to tell you how much I love the Pagnol book. It is such a sweet glimpse into childhood...and I have laughed out loud as well. Thank you for your suggestion. Ellen? Not sure where you are but take care.

Cro Magnon said...

Rain, thunder, lightning, and even some hail here. We've had it for the past few days, and are promised more for mid-week. I've still managed a few swims.