Wednesday 14 October 2020

Fairly miserable Wednesday

 Yes, I am afraid we are going through a miserable spell of weather.  I thought it was slightly better today - big black clouds but blue sky too and  when the sun came out it was warm.  I thought ' strike while the iron is hot', put on my coat, put my woolly hat in Percy's cabinet and set off.  The sun was lovely.   I had only gone a hundred yards when out of nowhere came pouring rain - no warning, no slight drizzle - just pouring heavy drops.   I turned round and came back home and sadly that it is for today - it has more or less rained ever since.

I had decided on an easy quick lunch today - so I made it and it was delicious.    I made a souffle omelette with two eggs and stuffed it with quickly browned button mushrooms and served it with my favourite tenderstem broccoli.   Easy indeed but a lot of toing and froing to get everything ready at the same minute and an awful lot of washing up for my dishwasher.   I gave it its monthly special wash this morning too.

My doorbell has decided to stop ringing - or rather it rings when it chooses to, which is worse because people ring and if it doesn't ring inside they think I am out and go away.   The electrician came to look at it yesterday and the upshot is I need a new one, it is 'click and collect' and should be here tomorrow so he will be along to install it and it is to be one with a speaker in the kitchen and one in the sitting room and has a choice of about six different ring tones!!  So it will be decisions, decisions.

There is more than enough blue sky now to make a pair of sailor's trousers as we used to say when we were kids - so maybe another quick walk with Percy after tea (smoked salmon pate  on brown seeded bread) - see you tomorrow when I hope to have more news than I have today when news has been a bit thin on the ground.

16 comments:

Ellen D. said...

I always get hungry when you describe your meals as they sound so delicious! You do take good care of yourself (as you should!). Hope your weather clears up a bit so you can get your daily walks done. I will get a walk in this afternoon as it is sunny (but windy) here in Illinois (USA). Our temps will start dipping down more and more this week so today might be the best day to get out!
Stay safe, Pat!

angryparsnip said...

You may think you have not much to write about but you do. I enjoy reading every line. Especially your lunches !
Be well and stay safe.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ellen D - I made myself go for another walk after tea when the sky cleared. Once I got out and walking I enjoyed my half hour in the fresh air.
Thank you Gayle - the same for you too. These are worrying times.

Midmarsh John said...

Not much in the way of rain hereabouts but a really cold wind. I only lasted 10 minutes pottering in the garden before I felt frozen.
I wonder what choices of 'ding dong' your new bell will have. I was able to choose a Westminster Chime on the one I have.

Bovey Belle said...

Oh I say, that was a most unsporting belt of rain - must have waited for you to leave the house! At least you got out later.

Tam and I had a lovely walk today and I was very soon regretting wearing several layers!

Jules said...

Your meals always sound delicious. I hope tomorrow's weather will be better for you. X

justjill said...

Good to walk. Helps me mentally.

Bonnie said...

You are always wonderful at describing your meals. I think you would do an amazing job writing for a cooking magazine as your appetizing meal descriptions always make your readers hungry! You just have a way with words in everything you write. Enjoy your evening Pat!

Heather said...

Having had a few good soakings I no longer trust the weather and am often overdressed, setting off with scarf, quilted showerproof coat and rain hat, which results in my returning home boiling hot and dry as a bone, with the dark clouds just laughing at me.
I hope you didn't get too wet, and are warm and snug now.

Joanne Noragon said...

That's pretty much what we said. A patch of blue big enough to mend a Dutchman's pants. Hmm, I hope that's not derogatory. Dutchmen had wide, billowy pants when I was a child.

Debby said...

You are deluged...and we are in a drought.I love reading about your days.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Hope today is dryer your way and here, the East of England is getting the most rain - which is odd.

Virginia said...

Broken doorbells are a total pain, because so often it's ages before you realise they are broken.

I chose the sound that I could hear best WITHOUT my hearing aide, so I can hear it if I happen to be in bed. If yours needs a small battery, do make a note of what it is, and buy yourself a spare, or you'll go through the "I didn't hear the bell" in another year or so.

We had two very brief patches of intense hail today, and the young Korean barista at our local cafe said she was very frightened by them. She'd probably never seen hail before. It was cold enough the hail lasted on the ground for an hour or more - so much for Spring!! I hope you get Percy out for a stroll tomorrow.

Tom Stephenson said...

For some reason I find the idea of a new doorbell quite exciting. I wish I could change the discordant and offensive buzz on ours.

Librarian said...

That omelette sounds delicious! And thumbs up - your walks, however brief, are certainly doing you good, both mentally and physically. Did you meet anyone for a chat this time?
Hopefully, your new doorbell will soon be installed and not too complicated to set up (I hate complicated set-ups of new devices).
Cold-ish and grey, with showers and drizzle in between; yesterday morning was so foggy I could not see more than two houses along the street.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. I did manage a walk and it was good. Interesting Joanne about the Dutchman's pants - may well be the origin of the expression.