Tuesday 9 June 2020

A Busy Day

For me today has been a very busy day.   My poor ankles don't know what's hit them and now, at a quarter to seven in the evening, I can hardly walk and once I have finished this I shall put my feet up and watch television - and hope to stay awake until bedtime.

I had a Zoom coffee morning with 'the girls' and for once managed to stay on for the whole forty minutes - Zoom behaved itself this morning.   At that point my gardener came to mow the lawns and I discussed one or two things with him, including a space in the herbaceous border - I don't believe in spaces - I like the border packed so that I can't see any soil.   So he carried on mowing and I set off into town for the first time in twelve weeks - to The Garden Centre to buy two plants to fill the empty space.

There were only a few there and the whole place was well marked out with a pleasant young man standing to assist with waiting distances and such like.   He kindly carried my plants for me.   Of course, as always, I bought more than the two plants I had intended to buy.   I bought another Gallardia - I have one and it is out and has dozens of buds too and also a Scabiosa (white with a pink tinge) - these two to fill the space in the border.   I also bought a grey-leafed evergreen shrub which has yellow daisy-like flowers - he has put this into a pot for me until we have attacked the mares tail one more time - then we shall plant the bed up with shrubs and ground cover.   I bought two plants to put in my side border which I can manage because it is on the flat - a verbena and a heuchera with a bronze leaf.    Then I bought some new herbs for my two planters - my last year's herbs are a sorry sight.   Then after lunch I planted the ones for my flat garden and also the herbs which go into planters (mint, thyme, parsley,chives and chervil).   By this time, tottering about and in danger of falling, I came in for a rest.

Now I am very tired but also very satisfied with my day.   How do people manage who have no interest in gardening I wonder.

25 comments:

JayCee said...

Gosh, you have been busy. Puts me to shame - again!

Midmarsh John said...

It has been a day for making the most of a good dry spell of weather. Like you I am now shattered. Planted out some home grown Sunflower plants - for the first time in years - then set about mowing my meadow (2000+ sq ft of neglected lawn) which was easy as far as the cutting went but back breaking with the speed the grass box filled and needed emptying.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Plants are good company.

busybusybeejay said...

I feel tired just reading this!What a busy day.

Derek Faulkner said...

People who don't garden do miss a lot but then I imagine they fill their days doing things that we wouldn't enjoy.
It's a beautiful warm and sunny evening here on Sheppey.

Bovey Belle said...

Snap! We went to the garden centre today. I stayed in the car as I'm shielding, but got Tam to buy some compost and plants for me, and it was nearly as good as choosing my own! They are all planted up now.

Glad you got a lovely selection too, though I bet you had to put your feet up after all that planting.

Bonnie said...

You've had a busy and fulfilling day! It all sounds lovely. I imagine you will sleep well tonight.

Christine Hancock said...

Yes a very busy day for you, I like your new flower choices, I love blue flowers; perhaps if I had kept myself busy I wouldn't have felt so 'down'

angryparsnip said...

I don't have a garden any more but between you and Cro I am having a great time.
parsnip

Heather said...

I always liked a well filled garden border - it keeps the weeds out as well as providing a lot more interest. I always came home with more plants when we had a day out and loved growing all kinds of herbs. I can almost feel your tired aches and pains, but also that lovely feeling of satisfaction.

the veg artist said...

I think people who don't like gardening just think it's outdoor housework!

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am going to bed now - can;t wait to get my head on the pillow. Thanks for calling - see you tomorrow - probablyI shall be late upt!

Joanne Noragon said...

I do not envy you your tired feet and ankles. I do understand how you came by them.

Granny Sue said...


Yes, a busy day! I wonder with you about the non-gardeners, especially at this time. I've had friends crying about how bored they are. I can't even imagine. There's always so much to do in a garden.

Hildred said...

You inspire me with your purchase of all those lovely plans and shrubs, but alas, no room left in the garden!!

Cro Magnon said...

I expect Roundup has now been banned (it has here), but mabe you could find someone who still has some and try it on your Marestail. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd give up!

Librarian said...

Hats off to you, Pat! I hope a good night's rest will make your ankles forgive you the effort you required of them yesterday, and not make you feel sore today.
As for people who don't garden - well, I am one of them, and living in town with no garden or even a balcony may have something to do with it ;-)
Also, my days are by no means empty; a large chunk is filled with my job, and the rest is split up between household stuff, friends and family, walking/hiking/running, reading and writing, playing my favourite computer game and watching TV. I guess if I had a garden to take care of, the first thing that would have to take a back seat would be my blog and other computer-related activities.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. See you tomorrow.

Rachel Phillips said...

I lead a full life without gardening. I am never bored. My life growing up on a farm more than covered a lifetime of gardening.

Jules said...

I like a flower border to be full too. Mine is a work in progress but I add to it when I'm able to. X

The Weaver of Grass said...

Can agree with that Rachel having been with the farmer for more than twenty years - keep what is in the garden tidy - grow plenty of veg to eat and that's it.

Jennyff said...

I've lived in many places where people want big gardens but have no idea what to do with them. Likewise I've seen many small gardens that are so beautiful and productive. I'm a farmer's daughter, I have to grow food though now that's when we are in Italy, at present gardening on my small balcony keeps me sane.

Gerry Snape said...

what a great day...I always buy more than I set out to buy at especially nurseries!..look after those legs you need them!!..love Gerry

anna lucas said...

I was searching for loan to sort out my bills& debts, then i saw comments about Blank ATM Credit Card that can be hacked to withdraw money from any ATM machines around you . I doubted thus but decided to give it a try by contacting { cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com} they responded with their guidelines on how the card works. I was assured that the card can withdraw $5,000 instant per day & was credited with$50,000,000.00 so i requested for one & paid the delivery fee to obtain the card, after 24 hours later, i was shock to see the UPS agent in my resident with a parcel{card} i signed and went back inside and confirmed the card work's after the agent left. This is no doubts because i have the card & has made used of the card. This hackers are USA based hackers set out to help people with financial freedom!! Contact these email if you wants to get rich with this Via: cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com ..    

Unknown said...

Hello! I'm very excited to inform everyone that I'm completely cured from my HSV 1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it's really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured! from my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I was tested negative after 12 days of using the herbal medicine. I'm here to let y'all know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr Emmanuel and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp him at +2348140073965
 thank you..