Monday 20 April 2020

Following Instructions.

Yes, in our little town it really does seem as though we are all following instructions to practice social distancing and go out for short walks for exercise and fresh air.   Well all of us humans that is.   But as I sit here and look out of the window into my garden it is obvious that the wild life hasn't got the message and I find it quite a comfort that they are not troubled by any of it.

I have a series of walls in my steep garden and I have noticed a small hole at the bottom of one of these walls.   Yesterday, pottering about in the garden, I happened to notice a little mouse going about its business in and out of the hole, presumably nurturing a little brood (I like to think so anyway).

And sitting here now there are a couple of blackbirds, several house sparrows, a couple of blue tits and a dunnock busy in the garden - scratching around looking for food - hopefully for babies.   Yes the breeding season has well and truly begun.   Everything is truly busy.

Strangely enough so am I, although if at the end of the day you asked me what I had done I would be hard pressed to make a list of useful things. I live alone, so although my cleaning lady isn't coming, nowhere gets really dirty.   A quick run over with the cleaner, a flick of the duster, the sink and bathroom sprayed each morning with cleaner, the sheets changed and washed, my week's clothes changed and washed (they hang on the line flapping in the breeze as I write this) and lunch cooked - that's it really.  This afternoon I sat down with my coffee after lunch and finished 'Winter Holiday' yes - I am ploughing through Arthur Ransome's books for children again.   Sheer escapism but I really got lost in the story.   Do we really need to read deep, hard stuff?   Can't we lose ourselves in something easy now and again, something that transports us to somewhere without making an effort?   Must leave the Lake District in a snowstorm and return to reality and gather in the washing from the clothes line.   Until tomorrow....




18 comments:

Librarian said...

Well, your report of daily activities sounds like you are getting done a lot of useful things - washing, cleaning, cooking; what's not useful about all those?
And as far as reading material is concerned, I have rarely found myself getting lost in a work of high-brow literature the same way as, for instance, the Narnia Chronicles when I was a child, or some of the novels and mysteries I have been reading as an adult. Nothing wrong with that. I don't claim to be an intellectual and am neither proud nor ashamed of what I read.
It's a very windy and sunny day here, washing should be dry in half an hour!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Parkinson's Law, about work expanding to fill the time allowed for it, has never been more true than it is now. I used to be such a busy person when I was working but nowadays I achieve very little each day. It's great!

JayCee said...

Your day seems to have been much busier than mine. I have certainly slowed down.

the veg artist said...

If ever there was a time for some light escapism, this is it. Films and entertaining programmes on TV, books to enter another world - these are needed more than ever. We have robins nesting in a low tree stump - they are providing hours of therapy!

Heather said...

That sounds like a very nice productive day. There used to be a little mouse living under our water feature in the garden before I moved into my flat, and always plenty of birds visiting the feeders. A lovely time of year.
It is never bad to enjoy a bit of escapism, and whilst a serious book can be enriching, a light read now and then does no harm.
Another sunny day - aren't we lucky?

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

Over the years my reading has narrowed. I read a lot of detective stories. I like the way problems are solved and order is restored. Very reassuring.

Bovey Belle said...

A productive day and your little mouse will keep you amused, I am sure - far better than the occasional hefty dead rat one of the cats leaves me on the kitchen floor!

I wish I could just have a quick clean round here - I choose a couple of rooms per day to concentrate on (it IS a big old house).

I was almost tempted to get out some of my Monica Edwards books recently, to cheer me up so you are definitely allowed Arthur Ransome for escapism.

jinxxxygirl said...

Most of what i read is light Pat... once or twice a year i make myself read something more thought provoking...just because... But i learned a long time ago that life is too short to force myself to read a book i'm not enjoying.. I've recently left my job at the park and now stay home full time... so so nice... now i can clean my house instead of someone elses... :) Hugs! deb

Tom Stephenson said...

I'm with you on the escapist reading Weave. I've made very good friends with a little robin over the last 2 weeks. He (or she) is feeding chicks with insects, but takes little bits of cheese from me for personal consumption. He looks forward to my lunchtimes and lands on my feet quite a lot. He knows I have cheese...

Sheila said...

As for reading material, I have taken your suggestion of Carol Drinkwater's books and now await the arrival of 'The Olive Farm" from Amazon.

Rachel Phillips said...

No reading rules Weave, whatever takes your fancy.

gmv said...

Your writings about your daily life bring a feeling of peace to me. So much of the time I feel guilty if I am not "getting things done." After reading how you have been pacing your days in lock down and enjoying the slow pace and fewer commitments without any guilt, I'm going to try to also.

Bonnie said...

I love that in many areas there is much more wildlife coming out due to the reduction of the number of people. I seem to stay busy all day but like you mentioned, I can not always tell you at the end of the day what all I have done! I love reading a variety of books including youth books. It is good to have that variety. Have a good evening!

Joanne Noragon said...

Watching nature continue all around us is a joy.

angryparsnip said...

What a lovely post for me to read !
parsnip

Cro Magnon said...

I think we must have the cleanest sheets in the whole area. My wife washes them almost every day... I haven't asked why, but I imagine it's because it keeps her busy!

thelma said...

Two jobs a day to get a feeling of satisfaction I read somewhere. It is quite healing the need not to have appointments or go out I think.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thelma I feel exactly as you do regarding the healing quality o not having to go out - I am content with chats on Zoom now and again, chats at a distance with gardening neighbours, my blog posts and looking!

Thanks everyone - feel better at reading light stuff after you all seem to feel the same.