Wednesday 19 February 2020

Wednesday

Another cold, breezy and dull day here - quite depressing, although it is selfish to say this as this time the storm has not affected us very much and we have no flooding.   When  I look at the extent of rivers bursting their banks and flooding huge areas, putting thousands of homes under water, destroying hundreds of acres of crops - it is all so distressing.   There was a lovely old couple of ninety on the News this morning, going back to their house  - the whole place was in uproar and covered with mud and the old lady was horrified and said it looked like a jumble sale.   But what brought tears to my eyes was that they had been breeding Koi Carp in the pool in their back garden for many, many years and that was their biggest worry - had they been destroyed.   Well they hadn't, the carp were still there, calmly swimming up and down.   The lady was reduced to tears of joy, saying that she would have been 'distraught' if their beloved fish had gone.  It was such a touching moment.

I got up and had my breakfast but then decided that I really didn't feel well enough to stay up.   So I tidied round and went back to bed with The Times, the telephone and a pencil and pen to do the puzzles.  I put the blanket on and stayed in bed until half past eleven when my son rang to see how I was (he is on half term) and offered to do some shopping for me.   I got up, had a shower, got dressed and by that time he was back with my shopping.   I felt back to normal and this afternoon I have tatted about doing all sorts of jobs.  (I have friends coming for the weekend) so all is well once again.   I think maybe I want the Spring to be here!   Only another ten days until it is March and we do usually get a few signs of Spring then don't we?

When I look at the huge areas of the country which are being devastated by water I feel it is selfish of me to even think about being under the weather when I can't put my finger on the cause.
I am missing Tess of course, but even then I can't help feeling relief that I haven't to take her out in this windy weather (my Physio says I must not walk in windy weather).

On Saturday evening I intend to give John's recipe for chicken thighs with chorizo a whirl - all the ingredients are coming in the morning with my Tesco order - I will report back on how it turns out.

20 comments:

Heather said...

Chicken with chorizo sounds rather tasty.
So many parts of the country are affected by floods. Businesses, homes, farms all under water. I am so thankful that my little bit of the country is on slightly higher ground. I hope the winter lambs will be safe and that somehow those crops which have been ruined can somehow be replaced by something else as the year moves on.
Glad you feel better and enjoy your guests' visit.

At Home In New Zealand said...

I too am longing for March to arrive, and hopefully with it a change in weather. It has been so hot and dry here and many areas have been declared official droughts. Weather can be so oppressive to our spirits sometimes.

Sue said...

Glad you are feeling better Pat. Chicken thighs with chorizo and cannellini beans is a favourite dish of mine, I love the crispy skins on the chicken and it's a dish you can put in the oven and just leave it to bake.

the veg artist said...

Glad you are feeling better. It makes sense of the saying "under the weather", doesn't it. It's not surprising that we are feeling worn down. On a cheery note, my daffs are coming out, the first camelia flower is about to open, and spring is definitely on its way!

Joanne Noragon said...

Oh, I hope we have crocus up soon.

Hildred said...

I am glad you are feeling better, Pat. February is not the month to be happy and inspired, I find, and one is inclined to feel despondent and unwell sometimes. I call it Cabin Fever, and it comes as a result of being so confined in the winter. There is always spring to look forward to!!!

Cro Magnon said...

Chicken and Chorizo are perfect partners. That and a couple of glasses of rustic Merlot, and you'll soon be shaking off those winter blues!

Librarian said...

Having visitors for the weekend will do you good - as long as you won't overdo the work that having house guests usually involves.
There are many signs of spring here in my area, as it has been so mild all this winter, and for a few weeks now I've been listening to the most beautiful birdsong (blackbirds really know their stuff!) while still in bed, just before getting up. Yesterday was cold and windy, but not frosty, and only a few droplets of rain.

Rachel Phillips said...

I prefer a breast to a thigh.

Catherine said...

I’m feeling under the weather myself this morning. The wind was blowing a gale during the night. My husband got up to close the window and that woke me properly so I got up from 2am until 4.40am. Feel dreadful now.
I hope you have a good time with your visitors.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for your replies folks. I would agree Rachel, I feel the same but everyone seems to agree that there is more taste in a thigh. They are to be cooked whole in John's recipe and also ready bones so we shall see. I am really looking forward to trying it.

Terra said...

Somehow what stood out for me in your post was that the koi survived. That poor lady was greatly cheered by her koi surviving. Just a splash of joy in a hard time. I hope you get your energy back soon.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

So hope you are feeling much better. I've been watching the news and the flooding is heartbreaking. So many lives can be changed in an instant from water. We're having quite a deluge here at the moment, but a year ago we had massive floods with hundreds and hundreds of people's homes completely destroyed.
Have a lovely day.

Unknown said...

If you're looking to lose kilograms then you absolutely have to try this brand new custom keto plan.

To create this keto diet, licensed nutritionists, fitness trainers, and professional chefs united to develop keto meal plans that are effective, convenient, money-efficient, and delicious.

Since their first launch in 2019, thousands of individuals have already remodeled their body and health with the benefits a proper keto plan can give.

Speaking of benefits: in this link, you'll discover eight scientifically-tested ones offered by the keto plan.

Abigail Smith said...

Type the 25-digit activation key on mcafee.com/activate and redeem your McAfee subscription. Browse www.mcafee.com/activate for creating your McAfee account.

roku.com/link said...


Roku activation code is an alpha numeric code which helps users to enable their roku device or tv. If the activation phase has been

completed, computer would require them to display their fav stuff online at one place.

Unknown said...

The Hp printer is the finest printer on the market with high quality home and office facilities for everyday use. You need to unbox them if you purchase a new HP printer, then set it up with a PC or laptop. By visiting url: 123.hp.com/setup, the user can download and update applications and printer drivers.
[url=https://www123hpsetup.com/]123.hp.com/setup[/url]
123.hp.com/setup

office.com/setup said...

I read the blog and i really like it. i enjoyed your blog. keep sharing some more. thanks for sharing.

www.webroot.com/safe said...

www.webroot.com/safe
keeps all of your data or files safe and quarantines during the clearance of malware. It provides endpoint and cloud protection from online spyware and malware.

office.com/setup said...

I read your post i got it amazing story fantastic part i like most is the shot you have clicked and added in your article,the blue sky fantastic, thanks for sharing