Friday 28 February 2020

Friday again.

What to do in this awful weather - it is so tempting to stay in bed, to not bother going into town, to not attempt anything.   But the thing is - I love people - I love the chat and the interchange of ideas.   And also I really did fancy some Sea Bass for my lunch and we have the very best Fish Stall on our market every Friday with every kind of fish you can imagine - fresh and mostly from Whitby and other areas on that it of coast.

So I got up, showered, got dressed and went into town - it was still dry although not looking too promising.   Sea bass bought (and would you believe the two men who man the stall are not fish eaters ) and bananas and oranges and then it was over to our Friday cafe to meet up with friends for coffee.   It was all good as it usually is.

By the time H and I walked back to my car in the Car Park it was sleeting and the wind was rising.   That didn't stop the rooks going at their nest building in full caw!    Once home I almost made myself a sandwich before remembering I had fresh sea bass in my shopper!    Sea bass and green beans - delicious and all ready in five minutes - nice crispy skin, gently cooked on the flesh side - cooked in a mixture of a little bit of rape seed oil and a noggin of butter.

This afternoon S and T came round for the afternoon and we sat and chatted, had a cup of tea and a piece of fruit cake and passed what was a disgustingly horrible afternoon weather-wise in a very pleasant way.   Considering the situation at the moment and the awful weather I couldn't have had a nicer day.   Take care

20 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

That sounds nicer than my day, as we were having a new-to-us sofa and chair delivered and so moving furniture, vacuuming mightily, and then scrubbing floors was in order. (You should have seen the fluff behind my hall cupboard on stand!) Then it was go THROUGH the cupboards time, with Eldest Daughter snapping at my heels!

I bet that Sea Bass was wonderful - being so freshly-caught, and lovely to have guests this afternoon too. Batten down the hatches for the weekend!

JayCee said...

Sea Bass. One of my favourites. I always choose it if it is on the menu when we eat out.

Rachel Phillips said...

Sounds like a good day. I also had a good day in spite of the Winter weather.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tonight (half past eight) it is very cold, wet and thoroughly miserable outside. It is one of those nights when it is hard to keep warm inside too, so I have just turned the heating up even more.

Terra said...

So good you had a nice day in spite of the weather. Sea bass for your meal and chatting with friends made for happy moments.

justjill said...

What a lovely day for you.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I have never had sea bass. You just fried it in a pan? Good that you got out. There's no getting out here, as you know, with our stormy (snowy) day, but this too shall pass, hopefully by tomorrow. -Jenn

Bonnie said...

It sounds like you had a lovely day despite the weather! Your lunch sounds quite good too.

Heather said...

Good friends and good food cheer up the most dismal of days. It has been wretched down here too and I feel so sorry for those who are flooded out. It must be heartbreaking.
Keep warm and dry - spring really must be just around the corner.

wherethejourneytakesme said...

A lovely day - glad to hear you are managing to brave the weather. I am wondering where we can go for lunch with mum tomorrow - in so many places the parking is too far away from the cafe so I think maybe a farm shop or garden centre would be best.
Have a good weekend. x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Coffee - I put a knob of butter and a splash of oil in the pan and get it really hot (you must put the oil in too or the butter will easily burn). Lay the sea bass fillets in the utskin side down and fry until the skin is really crisp - watch it as it easily burns, Then turn the heat down and flip the fillets over on to their 'fish' side and cook for a very short time (depending on thickness of fillets but it is very easy to overcook so no more than two minutes - probably less. I like green beans with mine and find it best to cook them first and keep them hot otherwise the fish is ready and the beans are not.

ILLUMINATI GRAND LODGE® said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
angryparsnip said...

I need to eat more Sea Bass after your recipe.Love Green beens.
So you had a nice day after all.
parsnip

Joanne Noragon said...

How pleasant, your telling. Have a nice weekend.

Cro Magnon said...

We are living through a time (and its accompanying weather) when we should not deprive ourselves of anything at all. Your Sea Bass is a good example.

Alphie Soup said...

I often pan fry fish using your method and beans are often the side dish. Not tonight, its oven baked garfish but there will be beans.
Alphie

Librarian said...

I have not yet had breakfast, but your recipe for seabass is mouthwatering! Only I'll have muesli first... and maybe shall buy fish fillets for Sunday dinner with O.K.

thelma said...

The fish sounds delicious just the way I like it. The weather will improve soon I am sure.

Ann said...

Your Sea Bass sounds delicious and served simply with green beans is often the best way to get the full flavour of fish. Glad you had a lovely day, despite the weather.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for calling everyone.