Wednesday 15 January 2020

Candle

It is a bright, cold and very windy day - almost too windy for me to stand up.   When I walked up the main street in our little town the wind was so strong it nearly blew me over and a lady kindly helped me across the road (believe me, that's when you feel really old).  If the wind is in a certain direction it is always hard to walk in the market square.

Today I lit a candle for Tess and it has burned brightly in the sitting room all day - just a little reminder of what a bright star she has been in my life.   As many of you predicted I had a very good night's sleep last night and feel much more like my old self today.   There is still a hurt there but, as I said on my comments page in answer this morning, when BT put me a new phone line in a few weeks ago Tess stood on the concrete before it was set and her paw prints remain just outside the front door - a great comfort now.

Friends are still calling on me, telephoning me, arranging to come and see me - it is all very touching and make it all so much more bearable.  As friend T pointed out - she is with David and her beloved rabbits now.   I am a Humanist and a non-believer but a lovely thought nevertheless.

I have made a package of remaining food, leads and such like to give to someone - I am sure somebody, somewhere will be pleased with them.   I have no intention of taking on another dog - a pup would need far more exercise than I could provide and an old dog is really just taking on trouble I can do without.   I shall have to get used to living alone completely - I have masses of friends and I also quite like my own company.   This month 's book for Book Group is Mrs Gaskell's North and South - all 400 odd pages of it
and only three weeks to read it in - so I have plenty to do. 

Has anybody out there read any Elizabeth Gaskell lately?   I read 'Cranford' for School Cert more years ago than I care to remember and I can't remember being enamoured with it.  I can't remember anything about it anyway after all this time but I belong a book club and I do firmly believe I should read every book so I shall start tonight.

I have bought myself a present today - a replacement small television for the one which gave up the ghost in my kitchen about a year ago.   Now I can eat my breakfast in the kitchen at the table and watch Breakfast Television rather than carry my breakfast through to the sitting room on a tray to watch it in there and risk tripping over something (I am really good at that) and throwing my breakfast all over my new settees.   Til tomorrow.

27 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Have you thought of a cat Pat? Not right away ofcourse but perhaps later.... they are quite independent and need no walks but the right cat will provide company and the need to look after someone other than yourself.. even a fish bowl? Having another living thing in the house with you can be a comfort... do you like plants in the house?? I have not heard of the author or books that you mention.. Hugs! deb

wherethejourneytakesme said...

I enjoyed the BBC version of Cranford - I can't remember North and South if I have read it in the past. So lovely to have that little paw print outside your door in remembrance. It is a bit breezy here - we are in Scotland now and the sun is shining too.

Librarian said...

jinxxygirl's idea is good; my mother-in-law in Ripon is about your age and enjoys her cats' (she has two) company greatly. Like you, she can not walk very well but has a garden around her cottage so that she can enjoy good weather out there, and her cats keep her company all the time.
Whatever your decision will be, you are right - you have so many friends, and your life involves so many activities such as the book club and others.
Which reminds me: You have not mentioned the ukulele and playing at the home in a while. Do you still play?

justjill said...

I read both books. Not recently though. Lovely to have the paw prints.

gmv said...

The candle and the paw prints made me feel better as I know they did you.

Oklahoma Girl said...

Such a special gift from Tess, footprints just outside the door. A blessing in disguise.

Gwil said...

Paws for thought. Just like Hollywood. 🎬

Lynn Marie said...

Oh goodness. Tripping and falling is no joke, but you made me laugh with the vivid image of your tray contents being flung across your sofas. Enjoy your kitchen TV in good health!

JayCee said...

I love the thought of the paw print. x

Carol Caldwell said...

I had a lump in my throat when I read your last post. The paw prints turned out to be a blessing as they are a great legacy of Tess for you to smile at when you see them. A good idea to be able to watch breakfast TV in the kitchen rather than risking your breakfast and yourself. Take care of yourself.

Bonnie said...

The paw prints - they were meant to be. Enjoy your book.

Tom Stephenson said...

There is a Roman clay tile here in the Baths museum which has the paw prints of a dog which lived about 1500 years ago. Still poignant.

the veg artist said...

'Tess Woz Here' prints - how sweet. North and South - yes, I've read it and seen the TV dramatisation with Richard Armitage (£4.95 on A*****). Both excellent, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Mrs Gaskell knew her local conditions.

lin said...

Maybe a local rescue could use Tess’ things.
Some dogs come in with nothing

Bonnie said...

The paw prints are wonderful. Cranford on BBC is one of my favorites.
Bonnie in Minneapolis

At Home In New Zealand said...

I see some people have suggested getting a cat. They make excellent companions, being so independent, but I would add a caution. An elderly friend of mine, unsteady on her feet at the best of times, had an awful fall when her cat tripped her up one night because it thought she was coming to feed it. Thankfully she didn't break any bones, but she gave the cat away after that.

Joanne Noragon said...

I'd forgotten about Tess' paw prints! Wonderful.

angryparsnip said...

The paw prints are wonderful. I have some from Watson and Hamish.
The idea of a rescue group for Tess['s things would be wonderful. Even here in Tucson you can buy blankets for the Pima County Animal Shelter to use in our cold weather. They can be delivered.
parsnip

Carol said...

I love North and South after watching the mini-series, and went on to read it and a number of other Elizabeth Gaskell's stories. I was fascinated with her use of language of the time and her insight on the place of women in society. I like how you refer to her as Mrs Gaskell. But then, I am an Aussie and cannot 'own' her as such.

thelma said...

I watched the television series, North and South and Cranford, she captured the time. Glad there is a reminder of Tess outside, you will laugh eventually when you see it every morning.

Heather said...

What a sweet reminder of Tess those paw prints are, and a lovely idea to light a candle for her.
Enjoy your 'homework' with Mrs Gaskell and your new TV in the kitchen. Another trip hazard avoided!

pam nash said...

I don't believe you will be lonely - your posts are always full of friends and things going on. Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

I read North and South in 2018 and gave it four stars on Good Reads so I must have enjoyed it. Anyway, I like a long book. I think you will enjoy it.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tom - love the idea of the Roman dog paw prints.

I have started Northand South and am loving it.


Thanks everyone.

SpikesBestMate said...

When our last cat died I couldn't bear the idea of looking after then ultimately losing another. So I turned my attention to feeding our garden birds. We have four hanging feeders and a copper tray for ground feeders all in view from our dining table. Now we have entertainment all day from a succession of finches, tits, robins, blackbirds and even a nuthatch. Some of them have become used to our comings and goings and chatter to us as we top up the feeders. It's worth a try for a little feathered company.

SpikesBestMate said...

When our last cat died I couldn't bear the idea of looking after then ultimately losing another. So I turned my attention to feeding our garden birds. We have four hanging feeders and a copper tray for ground feeders all in view from our dining table. Now we have entertainment all day from a succession of finches, tits, robins, blackbirds and even a nuthatch. Some of them have become used to our comings and goings and chatter to us as we top up the feeders. It's worth a try for a little feathered company.

pamala palz said...

First, I want to complement this site administrator for creating this platform for us to express our feelings. Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine from DR. Obela the greatest herbalist doctor in the world and is only few American doctors that know about this herbal medicine from Dr Obela .. I have read about Dr Obela the great herbalist doctor from African who can cure disease with his powerful herbal medicine. for the people suffering from the following diseases, Herpes,HIV/Aids, SARS virus Cancer, Also, Hepatitis, Diabetes, Hpv, Infections ETC should contact him for his herbal medicine because i am a living testimony and i was cured of herpes. Although, i sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine through DHL courier delivery company which i took for 10 days and today when i went for test i was tested herpes negative. you can reach him through his Whatsapp number +2347084171950 or email: drobelaspellhome@gmail.com