Monday 9 December 2019

Monday

Monday and only a couple more weeks to go.  It is not my favourite time of the year and I expect I write for many who have been widowed when I say this.I am spending the day with three friends, all on their own, and we shall enjoy our time together.   I did contemplate asking my dog-walker to house my dog over the period but have decided against it - I shall miss her too much in the time I am here alone. 

Bit by bit I am getting all my pre Christmas jobs done - cards delivered or posted, parcels posted, drinks cupboard topped up for callers and just a few small decorations put around the place.   Cards have begun to arrive - I always enjoy them and especially those from friends far away which might have a letter enclosed. 

One of my favourite things is The Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from Kings, usually on TV on Christmas Eve and always a joy. 

My Great grand daughter is three today and has had a little party (last Saturday) with seven of her little friends, when they played lovely games - all completely new to me.   She rang me tonight to say thank-you for her birthday presents - it is lovely that now she is getting to the age when we can chat on the phone - it gives me such pleasure.

It has been a lovely day here - quite windy although the wind has largely  died down now - bright sunshine all day shining straight into my windows.   Time now for a cup of tea and University Challenge - tests my brain a bit (not always very successfully!)

11 comments:

Jules said...

Although Christmas is a time of great joy, we must not forget it can be challenging for many. I'm glad you have some good friends to share the day with.
I have yet to write any of my cards. 😃 X

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

During most of my working life I had jobs that required me to work on Christmas Day, so I haven't much idea of what I'm supposed to be doing at Christmas now that I've retired.

JayCee said...

A three year old at Christmas. Magical.

Heather said...

Glad to hear you had a lovely day. We had a day of many parts - cold wind and damp, followed by watery sunshine, followed by heavy rain, followed by sunshine and clear sky by late afternoon.
I am looking forward to putting up a few decorations but first I must clean the windows and mirrors. Can't have Christmas in a grubby house.

Bonnie said...

How wonderful that you got to talk with your little great-granddaughter! I imagine her birthday combined with the magic of the holiday season was reflected in her voice. Enjoy your evening!

Cro Magnon said...

It's always special when our grandchildren begin to communicate with us. I see my little Boo Boo almost daily, and he's always asking 'Grumpy, what's this or that'. I don't always know the answer, but I do my best and we have a lot of fun.

Librarian said...

I am a bit puzzled by you thinking about Tess going to your dog walker for the Christmas period; why is that?
Christmas with small children is special, isn't it!
Last Friday, I have hosted our traditional Secret Santa for my girl friends and only that same afternoon I put up a few Christmas decorations. My cards and parcels went to the post office last night. Now I feel much more ready!

Yellow Shoes said...

Pat, I start Quizzy Monday - as it is known in this house - with Only Connect as it’s apparently a good warm-up exercise for University Challenge! I like Victoria Coren Mitchell and I’m ecstatic if I get one part of one question nearly right! xx

The Weaver of Grass said...

Laurie - Losing one's husband to cancer has happened twice to me - once after thirty nine years - then two years and a half as a widow and then twenty three years with my second husband and then a brain tumour for him. So now I am a widow again but the good thing is that both my marriages were very happy indeed so I have been so lucky in so many ways. Now, at 87, I am alone but with good memories as well as sad ones.

Thank you to you all. You keep me going.

Bea said...

How wonderful that not only do you have a great-grandchild, but that she's old enough to chat with you. It sounds like you're well prepared for the holiday to come. May you enjoy it! x

thelma said...

What I love about the little ones is their role in the Nativity scene. As they come chattering down the aisle of a church or a school stage, little faces with tea clothes for head gear. Tumbling over themselves, fighting over Jesus the doll - beautiful.