Wednesday 3 April 2019

An easy day.

I have almost got my energy level back by today but have had another quiet day, mainly because the weather has been so very cold and wet.  The gardens on the estate - all coming into flower nicely - look very vulnerable today and have certainly stopped growing to wait for a warm sun (promised by the end of the week I believe).  I suppose we can say it is typical April weather but it would be nice to have typical Spring weather instead.

The fields around here are now full of young lambs - many of them Swaledale lambs (the local breed) - but once they get plenty of mother's milk inside them they seem able to withstand a wintry spell like this.   The top of East Witton Fell and the top of Penn Hill, both of which are visible from my window, are both covered in snow as I write this.

Tomorrow my busy life resumes - I am just about ready for it.

11 comments:

JayCee said...

We too have had wintry weather today rather than spring. Sleet, hail and very cold. I am really looking forward to some warmer weather soon.

justjill said...

Glad you have recharged your batteries. Deluge of rain today. No lambs as yet here but the ewes over the field are bulging.

Rachel Phillips said...

Bitterly cold here. I need a hat on indoors tonight.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

It doesn't hurt to give yourself a gentle day now and again, especially when the weather's not up to much.

Heather said...

I love to see lambs in the fields and am very glad they have warm woolly coats when the weather is so changeable.
Also glad to know you are feeling a bit more energetic. I am sure we will all feel better when warmer weather arrives. I hope your garden plants survive the capricious conditions.

Chris said...

Nothing growing here yet. I will go out next week and buy some pansies, just to have some colour at my front door - they seem to be able to survive a slight frost.

Joanne Noragon said...

I can see all the lambs in my mind's eye. Kicking and jumping and running about and back to mama.

John Going Gently said...

Nice to hear you are bouncing back x

Librarian said...

My sister and I loved seeing lambs on the fields during our walks while we were on our Yorkshire Holiday last week and the week before. We hope they'll pull through this cold spell alright.
It is only 4C out there as I am writing this, but supposed to warm up again on the weekend. As you say, typical April weather.

ss said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
From A Worcestershire Hill said...

On 1st April my grandmother would call her children from bed by saying "There is snow on East Witton Fell. Then saying "April Fool" Today we have had heavy rain and hail - a day to stay in and do housework. One year the local farmer put lambs in the paddock. They had great fun in the sun jumping on the bags of the leaves I had collected the autumn before. I had really good leaf mould that year.