Monday 27 August 2018

Tom is cheating - take note!

Yes, he has managed it again.   He has jumped in first with his quote 'Season of mists and yellow fruitfulness'.   I had it all ready to put on on September 1st but he has beaten me to it and is also gloating about it!***

Well this afternoon Tess and I experienced the Autumnal feel in the air.   Sadly I forgot my camera so you will just have to imagine it.  I drove to the pasture which used to belong to the farmer and where his ashes are scattered by the wood and the beck.   Together we walked down to more or less where he is.   This year the pasture, which has  been grass certainly for the last twenty five years, was ploughed and sown with barley.   This has now been harvested for whole crop.   I don't mind.   The ploughing would probably scatter his ashes still further and he would like that.

There were signs of Autumn.   Patches of quite juicy blackberries hidden in the hedge (I picked and ate a couple as we passed them) and then patches of hawthorn berries already a deep red.   As happens every year, by the time the really bad weather arrives the birds have stripped the berries.  Many lie uneaten on the ground (I am sure the mice will eat them later) - it seems that once a bird drops a berry it doesn't have the sense to fly down and pick it up.  (the same applies in Spring to the rooks and nesting stick material).

The pasture is large and was once three separate fields, each belonging to a different farmer.   As one came up for sale the farmer bought it.  The flimsy boundaries between the three fields remain in part and these 'boundaries' are almost all crab apple trees and as usual they are heavily laden.  Only rarely do the birds eat these, they usually remain until early Spring when the beast go out and have a crab apple feast.

The leaves on the hedgerows have not begun to turn yet but they are looking dried and sad.   The undergrowth is dying, thistle plants have the odd pretty purple flower but the foliage is dying.   All around there are signs that the die back has begun.
Today is quite a warm day were it not for a strong rather chilly wind.

I had a little chat with the farmer.   It is peaceful where he lies - up against the wood and the beck and close to where the marsh marigolds and the blue bells come out in early Spring.   It is the spot he would have chosen I am sure.

Friends T and S, out walking with a friend's dog, spotted my car by the gate and walked down to meet me.   And so the afternoon has passed and soon it will be time to watch Antiques Road Trip,  one of my favourite programmes - and I shall have got through another Bank Holiday weekend with the help of my friends.

***And watch out Tom Stephenson next year on September 1st - I shall be ready for you.

20 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Lovely post Pat whether dear Tom 'beat you' or not..lol I'am looking forward to a cool down here... 90 F degrees today here in Arkansas..sigh.. But some rain and a cool down expected by Wednesday... fingers crossed.. I'am headed out to mow some grass this morning after my oatmeal and coffee.. Hubby has cut back most of it and now i will neaten the edges and the places he could not get.. I like it nice and tidy looking.. We let it get long before we mow it since we live in the country and theres no one to complain..lol

I like to think of you visiting with the Farmer on a beautiful Autumnal day.. Hugs! deb

Derek Faulkner said...

Your thoughts about the farmer were nice and I can understand where you are coming from but why is everybody rushing into Autumn, it's not that many years ago that August was part of summer. I guess these people are of the same mind as those that have Christmas stuff in the shops in October and Easter stuff in late January. Please, let us slow up and let the seasons end in their own good time.

angryparsnip said...

What a lovely post. I had tears well up as I read it.
It is still very summer here 100 + but getting cooler.

cheers, parsnip and badger

justjill said...

I am not rushing into Autumn, but it is surely sneaking up on us! Woodburner on last night and as you say Weave you can see nature sort of gulp and say oh its you again!

Sue in Suffolk said...

I'd like a return to summer please - probably when the children go back to school.

I love that your Farmers ashes are in a beautiful place where you can go and talk to him. I have Col's ashes here waiting for all the family to be able to get together (when the bedroom is finished so I can have visitors staying!)

thelma said...

A lovely idea to wander down through the field to where the farmer is, I am sure his spirit still lives in the land, and though it is sad it is also happy as well.X

Bonnie said...

Your words are like magic that carries the beauty of the changing seasons. What a touching and lovely post. I know the farmer would be proud of you.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

It does feel very cool in the mornings and evenings. I'm convinced our seasons have shunted along with summer starting much earlier. Lovely post, the farmer would be very pleased.

Librarian said...

This was a lovely and rather touching read, Pat, thank you!
Today started with a chilly morning but it got warmer during the day until we reached a point in late afternoon when it was colder indoors than out. The rest of the week is supposed to be in the high 20s sgain (Celsius).

Mary said...

Regarding Derek's comment, no way is it Autumn here yet despite today the kids have returned to school! 92F out there, sunny and hot, grass needs mowing, again, figs need picking and yes, it will be well into Sept. before we get signs of Autumn.

Thank you for sharing your visit with the farmer - I'm certain he knew you were there in that special place.

Jill said...

You described your surroundings so vividly I felt like I was strolling with you, and it was lovely. I think the farmer's field sounds perfect for him - anyone should be happy to be scattered there.

Heather said...

Autumn hasn't quite reached us yet, but it is certainly late summer now. What a beautiful spot your dear farmer rests in. I can almost see it in my mind's eye.

Tom Stephenson said...

Will you stay awake until 12.01 next September Weave? I don't think I will.

Shelagh Duncan said...

I'm not sure of the rules of your "contest" with Tom but when I read his blog today I thought "Well Weaver mentioned seasons of mist and mellow fruitfulness several days ago" You did on Aug 19 so you are THE WINNER. Lovely post today, I so enjoyed it. Read your post every day but have not commented before.Enjoy your week.

Joanne Noragon said...

Your beautiful essay touched me to tears. We have autumn hints, then baked away by more summer excesses. I'm sure your mellow fruitfulness is there to stay, until winter.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

This is such a beautiful and touching post, Pat. Like others, there are tears running down my face.

Cro Magnon said...

I split my late mother-in-law in two. Half her ashes are here in France, and the other half back in the UK at our Brighton house. I hope she doesn't mind!

Alphie Soup said...

Ode to Autumn. Lovely. As is the description of your locale.
The farmer's resting place was well chosen. A place where he can share the changing seasons and changing fields.
Alphie

Tom Stephenson said...

Shelagh Duncan has just reminded me (us) that you already beat me to it in your post of August 19th. And you accuse me of cheating!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ha Ha Tom - feeling smug!
Derek - reading your comment above, it is clear that you live in the South of England.
Up here in North Yorkshire and at not far off a thousand feet you can rest assured that Autumn is well and truly here and only possibly a few more days here and there when there is a real vestige of warmth all day. There is still watmth in the sun but at present there is also a cold wind blowing. I hope I am wrong and you are right - my old bones would like a bit more Summer but today - as with every day at present - there is a chill wind. Maybe it is just me in my old age as dog walkers keep passing without jackets on whereas I am muffled up to the eyebrows.

Thanks for all the kind things you said about my post today.