Tuesday 28 August 2018

Poetry

I walked to see the farmer again today.   Tess loves the walk down the pasture and I have permission from the new owner to go down there, so off we went after lunch.   Lovely walk.

Tomorrow is our Poetry afternoon so when I came back I spent some time choosing my contribution.
I chose Burnt Norton (one of Eliot's Four Quartets), The Glory of the Garden by Kipling (very dated I think), Wendy Cope's Flowers and a
short poem by Edward Thomas which I love because it sums up the farm environment for me - makes me sad that I have left it for ever.

Tall Nettles.

Tall nettles cover up, as they have done
These many springs, the rusty harrow, the plough
Long worn out, and the roller made of stone:
Only the elm butt tops the nettles now.

This corner of the farmyard I like most:
As well as any bloom upon a flower
I like the dust on the nettles, never lost
Except to prove the sweetness of a shower.
 
 

 

13 comments:

justjill said...

I love words that instantly paint a picture in your mind.. As that surely does.

Terra said...

I love that you have a poetry group. I did post a short poem on my blog yesterday, in honor of my husband. The poems you selected sound meaningful.

angryparsnip said...

Lovely, lovely poem !
I like when you talk about your poetry group.
Hugs to Tess.

cheers, parsnip and badger

Derek Faulkner said...

Crikey, that could of easily been the Farmer describing his favourite corner, where perhaps he is now.

Bovey Belle said...

Very atmospheric, and very fitting for your farmer too. I love Edward Thomas and hope that your Poetry Group enjoyed him too.

I am glad you are still able to visit that corner of the field which is forever in your mind.

Joanne Noragon said...

Beautiful, your selections.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I've never been able to get one with poetry, which makes me rather oikish I know.

Heather said...

That is such an evocative poem Pat. I can almost picture the farmyard in my mind. So glad you and Tess are able to get access to your field to visit the farmer, and enjoy your favourite walk.

Librarian said...

Enjoy your poetry afternoon! (I now you always do.)
The poem you quote - funny that I have just last night finished reading a book that has a lot about Edward Thomas in it (I have reviewed the book on my blog).

thelma said...

Like Jennie I love Edward Thomas but not Wendy Cope's Flowers, though I do have one on wild flowers.

Sue in Suffolk said...

That Edward Thomas was a Clever bloke!
I always enjoy mentions of what you are planning to read at your poetry group

Gwil W said...

It has echoes of the remains of my great-grandparents house in Snowdonia, now "between standing up and falling down" as the Irish poet Christie Brown once said about Leeds. The ruin is overgrown with nettles and thistles, and provides a shelter for sheep.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for your comments everyone.