Sunday 26 August 2018

Luck and the rain.

Sounds as though for once the weather forecasters had it one hundred percent accurate and consequently the Wensleydale Show benefitted hugely.    Friends have pronounced it 'the best Show ever' and certainly, looking over my garden wall into the Show Car park, it was very well attended.

Now all the parafernalia has more or less disappeared from the show field and all that remains are the big tents which will , I presume, have to stay up until they dry out (a dry and much warmer day is forecast for tomorrow,with a breeze) - attention will switch to the little town of Reeth in Swaledale because tomorrow, Bank Holiday Monday, is Reeth Show.

Lunch out of course today, as it is every Sunday.  It was such a good idea to start this - the four of us, all widows, spending a large part of the middle of the day out together.   We almost always, in spite of the huge menu, end up having salmon Florentine with Hollandaise sauce and a variety of vegetables, and after yesterday's feast it was a nice light lunch today.   Just what the doctor ordered.

I met my new neighbour today.   The bungalow has been empty ever since I moved in ten months ago and now I am to have a very pleasant new neighbour.   It will be nice to have the place inhabited again.

The nights are drawing in (as my father would have said) and all the blinds are drawn at twenty minutes past eight.   It makes the nights very long.  I managed two walks with Tess as my twisted knee is beginning to heal and I have several jobs I want to do this evening - one of which is to vote in the Countryfile calendar competition.   Nice to always have something to do.   

Enjoy the rest of your Bank Holiday.

12 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

I liked some of the photos they showed as they were looking through the 1,000s but when it got to the final 12 they were not the ones I would have chosen!
Out of the 12 I'm not sure which I liked best.

justjill said...

We lit the stove tonight. Dark, rainy and cool. We dont have the bank holiday in Scotland. Hope tomorrow is a success.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Our President's day cricket match was washed out of existence today, sadly. I've just hibernated, exhausted again.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a comfortable weekend, blinds notwithstanding.Glad your twisted knee is recovering.

donna baker said...

I had not one curtain at the farm, but in the city I draw the blinds every night. I don't like having to do it. I think the neighbors shouldn't look in windows. Your day was a good one. Will you be knitting or some other hobby as the days wane?

Heather said...

So pleased to hear your knee is better, and that the show was such a success.
I often forget to close my blinds until 9 o'clock but it is now almost dark by then. I daresay as the days get shorter I will remember to close them earlier.
How nice that you and your neighbour 'like the look of each other'. It is always good to have a good nextdoor neighbour.
What a task to choose just 12 photos from so many thousands. I don't envy them and missed seeing any of that part of Countryfile as my son dropped in to see me. Like Sue in Suffolk, I don't always agree with their choices.

Cro Magnon said...

8.20 pm? Good to hear you have a pleasant new neighbour; they make such a difference.

Sue said...

I missed the photos on Countryfile (someone wanted to watch the cycling on another channel). I shall have to see if they are on-line. Nice that you have a nice new neighbour. I'm quite nervous about meeting my new neighbours next month but that's just me.

Derek Faulkner said...

Missed the photo choice on Countryfile (fell asleep). They rarely pick the ones I like anyway but I do sometimes buy the calendar. It rained most of the day yesterday and this morning as I walked the dog at 6.00 it was windy with heavy grey skies and damp everywhere and felt like we'd leap-frogged into October - very depressing for me to be honest, I'm a summer person and to have autumn and darker nights starting this early is not good for me.

Librarian said...

Yes, the nights are definitely drawing in! For months now, it was still daylight when I arrived home Sunday evenings after my weekends away at O.K.'s, but last night, it was properly dark at 9:30.
Glad to know your knee is healing, and your new neighbour is pleasant.

janipi said...

After all this time a new neighbour will be good. Hopefully a good one. I never draw the curtains at the back. I like to look out and enjoy the solar lights after dusk. Not shining as brightly yesterday though. Too rainy and dull.

Gwil W said...

A nice neighbour makes a such a difference. And your knee on the mend. That's good too!

I couldn't sleep so well last night. I've decided to blame the full moon!