Thursday 28 June 2018

Friday

It is now 7.27 - the sun has been up for hours and I have already taken the dog for a walk in the cool of the early morning, watered my gro bags, had an orange and a banana for my breakfast and am sitting here drinking my first cup of tea.   Friday morning is our coffee morning so I like to be ready good and early.

On my 6.15 walk I met quite a few other dog-walkers, obviously all with the same idea.   Dogs are daft when it comes to weather - they still want to go out, even in the heat of the day - but once they get going they flag easily.  So early morning and late evening are best for both of us I find. 

How I could ever have thought of giving Tess away when I moved I don't know.   I worried that
I would not be able to manage her here.   She fitted in so well with my life-style.   She is there to talk to in the evenings (and she doesn't answer back other than with a knowing look).   But, most of all, she has been instrumental in helping me to get to know so many people.   Because this is an estate of dog owners (and almost all are responsible dog owners).   Our dogs have become friendly and like to stop for the obligatory sniff and tail wag, so we chat for a couple of minutes.   Even at six o'clock this morning I saw half a dozen, one of whom was a young Labrador whose 
'Mum' had to assure him that 'it's only a Border Terrier and it wants to be friends, it won't hurt you'
before it would pass us. 

Wandering along at a leisurely pace so that Tess could sniff every blade of grass I got to thinking about Butch - a dog from my far distant past.   My mother would never entertain having a dog = she didn't care for them in the house so it was a cat  only in our household.    But she did have a soft spot for one particular dog and that was Butch.
Butch was the Rector's dog - a dog of indeterminate breed - large, rough-haired and black and with the most gentle temperament.   Never on a leash and never that I can remember, with the Rector.   We all knew he 'belonged' to the Rector but Butch wandered around the village all day - presumably went home to sleep at night.   This was in the late thirties, early forties, so there was little or no traffic on the streets.

Butch was a knowing dog.   He knew that my mother was a soft touch.   He also knew that there was almost always meat or fish on the menu at our house.   So daily, usually as we were eating a meal, we would see Butch amble past the window.
She would call out for him to wait until we had finished our meal and he would sit patiently outside the door until she came out with his special bowl which she had been filling with titbits since the previous day.  In a flash they would be gone.

Talk about 'Remembrance of things past ', I haven't thought of Butch for years and years.   I am sure he is up in that doggy heaven somewhere, wandering around in his gentle, unassuming manner and being cared for by everyone.
.  
 

24 comments:

Bea said...

What a nice remembrance. Butch sounds like my kind of dog.

Ivy said...

Such lovely words about Butch (and your own dear Tess of course - so good you kept her).
Yes it too hot to take the dog for a long walk during daytime, though she has to do her needs, hasn't she? When temperatures were high my 2 dogs managed to do things as quickly as possible and then turned around to go home again. Same when it was raining:-)

Tom Stephenson said...

I knew you would never have given Tess away. That would have been bad for both of you I think. Dogs are (or usually are) undemanding and rewarding company eh?

Sue in Suffolk said...

I'm so glad you kept Tess, such good company.
Have a "Cool" weekend!

Bovey Belle said...

What a wonderful memory - Butch sounds aa very street-wise (and canny!) sort of dog and I am sure he is in doggy heaven, being unassuming but missing not one trick when it comes to grub! I know Somerville and Ross always said that if there were no dogs (or horses) in heaven, then they didn't want to go there!

I am glad that Tess has helped you to settle in so well in your new community. Mum was always friendly with the dog walkers she met. In this weather though, walking early is the best way for both man AND dog! I've just come in from the garden and had to wash my hair and have a strip wash as I'd got so hot gardening.

Jules said...

I'm also glad you held onto your little friend. What wonderful companionship, and she gets you out every day.
When I was at primary school the headteacher used to bring his dog into school every day. It would just wander around quite happily, sometimes playing with us in the sandpit. Could you imagine that happening these days? X

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I am happy that you decided to keep Tess. Your new home sounds like such a nice place with good neighbors.

Derek Faulkner said...

You'd of enjoyed it here on Sheppey early this morning. Our Speedwatch team were out between 06.30 and 07.30 recording speeding motorists (many doing 47mph in a 30mph zone) and under heavy grey skies and in a stiff NE wind we gradually got colder and colder. Driving home to pick up the dog to take her out to the reserve, I actually put the car's heater on to warm up.It's blue skies and sunshine now but the early mornings in the relentless N wind are quite chilly, plus water companies are now warning us not to waste water in the gardens and so the cracks will get bigger and plants will begin to die.

Heather said...

Your story about Butch reminded me of when we were in the process of moving into the bungalow my parents rented just after the war. As the weather was fine the doors were all open and a beautiful red setter dropped in to say hallo. We gave him a titbit and some water, and as it got dark my father put him outside where he immediatly came round to the french window and looked solefully in. In spite of my pleadings my father said we couldn't take him in as he probably lived not far away. He was right of course, and we soon met his owner who lived just across the road!
I woke up so early this morning and had done all sorts of chores plus a bit of shopping before 9.30! I looked at my watch during the morning and thought it must have stopped, it felt so much later to me.

liparifam said...

Living alone, I can't imagine ever NOT having a dog in the house. Having said that, the three plus a cat I have now are a little much, LOL! On day I will limit myself to one smallish dog...

thelma said...

Butch sounds a good dog and I'm glad you kept Tess. One thing I notice is that dogs are being let into more pub bars. And 'The Hub' cafe in Eskdalemuir was 'trialling' admissions of dogs and there are many cafes here that also welcome dogs, well behaved of course!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I went out for a walk myself today and soon flagged - I must be daft too!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thelma - the cafe we frequent in Kirby Lonsdale accepts well-behaved dogs, as does the one in Sedbergh - The Three Hares - where Imeet my god-daughter. One of our pubs in our little town has a sign outside which says 'Dogs and well-behaved children welcome.'

Librarian said...

This was a lovely memoir of sorts! Butch the Village Dog - sounds like a book, doesn't it?
Like the others here have said, I am so glad you kept Tess. I know you had good reasons for thinking about giving her away, but even better reasons for keeping her!

You were up very early today! I slept until 10 past 6 and didn't leave the house until 8:00, it was pleasant outside then but I still needed my cardie. Not so now, I'll go running with my friend in a bit, shorts and sleeveless top will do.

Bonnie said...

What a lovely memory! Our memories warm us for many years. I am so glad you kept Tess as well. Perfect for you both. Have a peaceful weekend Weave.

Joanne Noragon said...

We all have one special dog from way back when. So, yours was Butch. Good to know.

angryparsnip said...

awwwwwwwwww, such a sweet story in a wonderful post. I for one am so happy you kept Tess. Our furry family is what keeps all of us happy and healthy. She needs you as much as you need her. A good life for you all.

cheers, parsnip

Oklahoma Girl said...

Beautiful story and memory. I have had the blessing of animals, mostly dogs, all my life. i can't imagine not having them to share my life with. They have all had their own special place in my heart. Glad you kept Tess.

Jill said...

I am grateful every day that pets exist. I lost my dear dog 4 months ago and am days away from bringing a new puppy home. I can hardly stand the anticipation! I'm glad you have Tess and that she's adjusted to life in town as we all assured you we felt she would.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Parent neighbours lost their dog at midday - everyone very sad here, thinking it had been taken, then came rocking back at 6pm. Lovely staffy - bull terrier cross

Billie said...

I knew you would have regretted giving up Tess. So happy to hear she is such fine company. I took care of my son's dog, a rough collie Lassie dog for 2 years after my husband passed. She and my son are living with me now. Thanks to sweet Holly I have made new friends with other dog walkers. They are such blessings and joys!

Gail, northern California said...

These are my favorite posts--those in which you reminisce about years ago, what it was like then. Remembering Butch, his wanderings, and winning your mother's heart was a lovely memory re-lived. Thank you.

Aril said...

That's a lovely gentle memory.
Arilx

Barbara said...

It just occur to me that I have not done the right thing since when my husband came back to me, I am on this blog to give thanks to whom it deserve, Some couples of weeks ago my life was in a terrible shape because my husband left me and I never believe that I was going to get him back, But through the help of this powerful spell caster called Dr.Ekpen my life is now in a joyful mood, I must recommend the services of Dr.Ekpen to anyone out there that they should contact Dr.Ekpen through these details below: ( ekpentemple@gmail.com ) or whatsapp +2347050270218 because through Dr.Ekpen assistance my marriage was restored.