Tuesday 26 September 2017

Fifty shades of green.

Driving up the lane this morning it struck me just how many different shades there are on the trees as they are on their Autumnal turn.   The elder leaves have turned a deep red on some bushes and many of the saplings are already orange or yellow and the leaves are falling off into the roadway where they become quickly squashed into the tarmac.

And so they all die off for Winter.  The analogy between trees and humans of course doesn't hold water.   Trees rejuvenate - next year's new growth is already lurking ready to spring forth at the first sign of longer days, more sunshine and even the tiniest vestige of warmth.   We humans, of course, fall into the 'sear, the yellow leaf' and that is it - full stop.   As one ages this becomes a real fact of life and something which just cannot be ignored.

Some days - along with everyone my age I am sure - I feel very old.   Some days I feel much younger.   Folk are very kind in offering help - but sometimes I find it irritating.   I know I shouldn't because it is very well-meant but please you 'youngies' tread carefully (because you tread on my dreams!)

My great grand-daughter is approaching her first birthday.   She has a wet suit and has had her first swimming lesson this week - and she adored it.  She (Ula is her name) is at one end of the scale  and I am at the other and I must say that gives me great pleasure - and comfort too.

I have tried to download her photograph but I am in a hurry and can't seem to retrieve it - I will try again later.

18 comments:

angryparsnip said...

Little ones, children and puppies do bring a smile into our lives.

cheers, parsnip

Sue in Suffolk said...

Have just spent the day looking after our almost 1 year old grand daughter - now exhausted and feeling very old! We have news of third grandchild on the way - exciting!

Rachel Phillips said...

Good post heading.

Tom Stephenson said...

I agree with Rachel. You need not feel old with a title like that. A man of mature age who loves potting-sheds as an escape mechanism compiled a photographic book a few years ago called, 'Fifty Sheds of Grey'.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

My right shoulder blade is making me feel very old as well! Colours perhaps not as defined here yet.

justjill said...

I loved the fifty sheds of grey Tom Stephenson! I have a grey floor in mine. I have decided to really get down to doing something different when I grow up. Never managed being a bus driver. So some deep thought as to the next step. And we should all hang on to the fact that there is a next step.

Iris said...

Now do tell us about fifty shades of grey in your next post! (Spicy stuff from the Yorkshire Dales!)

Cro Magnon said...

Over here the Walnut trees are turning into bright balls of yellow. They are always quite staggering.

Gwil W said...

Here the silver birch are a mix of greens and yellows which is nice to look at when the sun is out. The power of the green leaves going down into the tree and down into the roots and the leaves turning red, yellow, brown and black . . . and next year to burst forth and do it all again.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's easier to bear one's advancing age than at other times.
I am having a struggle at the moment because we are about to give up our motorhome.
We have had some wonderful holidays but now, for various reasons it's time for a change. I am trying to be positive and see it as a new adventure to go for a different type of experience but it's not easy.
Yesterday I came across a helpful saying in the blog "Chasing Rainbows", which was attributed to Einstein;
"Life is like riding a bicycle,
To keep your balance,
You must keep moving."

Anonymous said...

Correction...the blog is "Tracing Rainbows".

Librarian said...

I am not yet 50, but some days I feel much, much older, mostly due to health issues (problems with my eyes and my spine more than anything). At other times, I do not feel much different from what it was like in my teens and twenties!
What you say about helpful people being irritating... I know exactly what you mean. I do get a little fed up with some people's advice, however well-meant it is.

Derek Faulkner said...

Well I guess if you didn't go public with your problems then people wouldn't become irritating by offering advice.

liparifam said...

Yes, something changed about 3 years ago - I guess it was when my only daughter got married. I'm only in my mid-50's but suddenly I'm treated like I'm aged and infirm, lol. I may FEEL it sometimes, but I am NOT. I can still physically outwork her or my son-in-law, and think I'm still pretty mentally sharp, haha, so I think it's not so much about my actual status than it is about them starting to feel like they are adults now and need to "take care of" their parents. And that's a good thing, I guess :)

Heather said...

I love looking at trees at every time of year and in winter, although I prefer spring and summer, I can see their true shape and enjoy their silhouettes.
Each morning, as I lie in bed and plan the day ahead, I can feel quite young and energetic, but by the time I have washed, dressed, breakfasted and tidied up, I have aged several decades!
How sweet Ula must look in her wetsuit. It is a joy to have a new child in the family.

Gail, northern California said...

From on-line magazine Country Living UK: The town of Skipton in the Yorkshire Dales has been named the happiest place in Britain.

Where is your new bungalow, Weave?

Midmarsh John said...

As with the leaves in Autumn I have noticed that the ravages of age seem to suddenly show in joints and muscles.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Well said. I want to do what I can, while I can. Giving up one more thing always seems like a closed chapter - but then I remember that I have lots of chapters left to work on - and finish up. I just don't like the youngsters making me feel feeble - which I definitely am not - and I can't agree more with you - they should tread lightly - as they will one day (before they know it) be in our same position. Have a lovely day my dear.