Saturday 23 August 2014

The Wensleydale Show

The weather held warm and sunny until 5.30pm when there was a thunderstorm with lightning and very heavy rain, but by then the Show was closing so it wouldn't spoil the huge success of the event.  The farmer said there were more there than he ever remembered and he has been going to the Show for decades.

The highlight for Tess and me, as we went up our Lane on our after lunch walk, was the aerobatics.    The show field is at the top of the Lane and the small aircraft was not allowed to perform actually over the showground, so he performed over our fields and Tess and I had a grandstand view of loop-the-loops and dives.

The other thing which amazed the farmer was a show by the official Honda Motor Cycle Display Team.   I have included one of the photographs the farmer took - he said the whole performance was quite terrifying.

Cattle, sheep, cakes, vegetables and flowers - there was everything.  You will see a photograph of the Supreme Champion Swaledale sheep (a blue band around its middle) and two lovely prize-winning Jersey calves belong to our friend and neighbouring farmer.  I shall now endeavour to get the photographs on to my post.   This new computer is still causing consternation where photographs are concerned - so here we go (fingers crossed







The last photograph shows a steam engine pulling a green 'hut'.  This came past our farm at the height of the thunderstorm.   Had it not been raining I would have gone to the front gate to take the photograph - as it is you can see the poor driver getting soaked as he chugs down the Lane.   But I wanted to include the photograph because it is not every day these days that such a piece of machinery passes the front door.

15 comments:

Willow said...

I would have love it there most certainly.
That is quite the Roo too !

Willow said...

Oh of course I meant to say "loved" .
Note to self ~ proof read comments !

Elizabeth said...

Sounds quite a stunning event!
Good thing no one fell off the motor bikes!

Pondside said...

You really did have a ringside seat - right down to that last parade 'float' chugging by!

donna baker said...

What a gorgeous rooster.

Heather said...

So good that you had your own private aerobatic display. Wonderful photos of beautiful beasts and vegs. Those motorcyclists must be mad!
I can remember our country roads being tarred, gravelled, then rolled by steamrollers when I was small. I loved the smell of newly surfaced roads, especially after rain.
So pleased the weather didn't spoil the show.

Julie Clay Illustration said...

Glad you got to see some of the show, it looks so lovely and traditional, Cockerel looks superb! I bet it was a good day for all:)

Splenderosa said...

I would love to live your life with all those wonderful animals. Seriously, I would.

Amy said...

what a very cool day out! I love to attend things like that.

Cro Magnon said...

You seem to be doing pretty well with your photos. I process mine with Picasa, then download them to 'My Documents', then use them from there. It always works.

angryparsnip said...

What a wonderful day.
So happy that the food was covered and the rain didn't ruin the show.

cheers, parsnip
Did you see on my blog who's blog I was reading when I took the photo ?
hahahaha

thelma said...

Loved old Mr.Rooster, what a handsome fellow. Pretty sweet peas and delicious cakes a true country fair.

Rachel Phillips said...

The farmer took some good photos.

Barbara said...

It looks like it was a great event. So glad the weather held. The poor driver at the end.
A special thank you to the farmer for taking the photos for you to share!

The Weaver of Grass said...

I passed on your comments to the farmer - he says thank-you!