Monday 21 April 2014

Easter Monday and warm with it.

Yes, although there is a lot of cloud about, it is really quite warm outside.   There is a definite feeling that Spring is around.   I went into the yard just as the farmer let the cows out into the collecting yard so that he could give them more bedding.   The minute they came out their noses went up in the air, they were restless and they began to moo!   They can smell the grass and they want to be out in the fields.   They are all 'in calf' and shortly to produce their offspring, so I doubt they will go out until after that.  Our farmer neighbour, whose cows they are, collects them and takes them back 'home' about a fortnight before their due date.

All the sheep are now gone.   There was a lone one wandering the fields but we found out who it belonged to and the farmer came and collected it over the week-end.   Now the grass can all grow - in the meadows for the first cut silage and in the pastures for the influx of sheep and lambs and young cattle, which will come towards the end of May.

There is a problem with that pheasant's nest in our front garden, under the New Dawn climbing rose.   There appear to be two hen pheasants laying eggs in it as the eggs are increasing by two a day instead of one.  Already there are eighteen eggs there - too many to be successfully raised.   I just slipped quietly out of the front door to take a look and several of the eggs are brown which I think suggests a rogue hen but the farmer insists that pheasant eggs do vary in colour.   So watch this space for developments.

And no, to everyone who asked, none of the bunnies in our fields have brought chocolate for Easter.   I am not too keen on eating chocolate anyway, so I have forgiven them.  Cro (Magnon's Meanderings on my side bar) suggests that Rabbit Pie on the menu would be the answer.   I used to love it but somehow have gone off the idea over the years. 

My new header was taken on Easter Saturday, April 19th.  Glorious blue sky.

15 comments:

Heather said...

I love to see cows kicking up their heels when they first set foot on spring grass. We tend to think of them as very slow moving creatures but they can gambol with the best! I had to take my fleece off this morning on my walk! The temperature must have shot up overnight. I am now going to take a cuppa outside and sit in the sun before it disappears.

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Rabbit pie seems just the ticket for Easter Monday. But the fur always gets stuck in my teeth.

Gwil W said...

I wonder that no fox or other predator such as a crow has not found those eggs yet.

Dartford Warbler said...

I wondered if Tess might fancy a tasty snack, if the fox doesn`t get there first?

A beautiful spring day here and everything looks fresh after yesterday`s rain.

Pondside said...

Another gorgeous header. The sky, the gate, the green........I'd wish to step into it!

angryparsnip said...

I was hoping you would use that photo as your header. Beautiful !
No chocolate bunnies here either. I gave out some lovely filled eggs but since I don't care for chocolate I was happy the Bunny didn't stop here.

cheers, parsnip

Cloudia said...

Glorious post. Thanks,




Aloha

Gerry Snape said...

oh ...I love the new header Pat ...such evocations of childhood countryside...thankyou!!

Anonymous said...

My first thought was wanting to step into that header too.

Virginia said...

What a lovely photo for your header Pat. That dog looks too smooth-coated to be Tess - is it her? A lovely glossy coat, whoever it is... and it looks like she's found an interesting smell.

Our weather is distinctly autumnal, and underfoot was very muddy when I walked in a nearby reserve with our 'grand dog' yesterday. I'll enjoy your summery photos all the more as the winter closes in.


Cro Magnon said...

Yes, your new header photo is beautiful. Proper wall, proper gate, proper dog. The only thing I take issue with are those wretched Black and White Cows. My neighbour had a mixed herd of Friesians and Montbeliards, but (because he's stopped milking) he's slowly changing them for Blonde d'Aquitaines. Lovely cream coloured beasts; they blend in with the landscape.

Jinksy said...

Mmmm... rabbit stew. Lovely, as long as I don't have to go find my own rabbit to kill and skin! I used to fire .22 rifles at targets on a range, but shooting a hoppity bunny might be a different kettle of fish - excuse the mixed metaphor! And I couldn't imagine strangling one with my bare hands, so I guess the rabbit population is safe from me personally!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Glad you like my new header. I had difficulty getting it on to my blog from Picasa for some reason, but it really tested my ingenuity trying various ways until at last I managed it - good for the self confidence! Thanks for calling.

Crafty Green Poet said...

it will be interesting to see what happens with that pheasants nest.

Reader Wil said...

The weather overhere is brilliant and rather warm if you sit in the sunshine avoiding the wind.