Thursday 18 July 2013

In the Heat of the Day.

Doctors are recommending that the elderly(sadly that is me) should not go out in the mid-day sun - well eleven to four actually - so at least we are not being allied with mad dogs and English men.  I find this weather quite draining - lovely if I am sitting in the cool, no good if I am trying to walk about in it.

The farmer has gone off to bale positively his last lot of sub-contract baling and has gone armed with a flask of iced elderflower cordial.   Tess is laid on the cool stone floor - I am sitting at the computer in a cool breeze.  A lovely perfume is drifting through the front door - must be roses of some kind I think.   The sun brings out the scent beautifully but it does also make the blooms die much more quickly.

My doctor has just rung me to tell me that I may drive again!!  Yippee - nearly drove myself to the hairdressers but decided that I needed to have the farmer by my side for my first foray - so hopefully it will be after tea tonight.

Tomorrow friend W and I are off to Kirby Londsdale on the edge of Cumbria, to meet our friends P and D for lunch in an Italian Restaurant.  It will be another scorcher but we can drive with all the windows open (and never mind that I have just spent an hour at the hairdressers.)

Friend G called this morning and we sat chatting for a long time (never a hard thing to do is it?).  I had plenty of ham for lunch and new potatoes and I made a lovely salad, which I shall share with you because it really is a lovely combination.

On a bed of lettuce put a mixture of sliced Fiorette pears, sliced Nectarines, halved green grapes and cubed cheddar cheese which have been tossed in a lemon and olive oil dressing.   Chill for half an hour.   So refreshing on a day like this.

Keep cool.

18 comments:

Sue said...

Here in south west France I spend 2 or 3 hours of the afternoon indoors in the cool, either napping, writing or 'surfing'. Chores have to be done in the early morning before things get too hot. Love the sound of that salad.

Heather said...

Congratulations and jubilations on being allowed to drive again. This weather is gorgeous but so physically draining. I feel fine if I stay inside and just enjoy looking out at it, and take in the lovely scents that waft in through open doors and windows. It won't last forever so we'd better make the most of it. Have a lovely day tomorrow and - in modern parlance - heavy on the hairspray!

angryparsnip said...

Congratulations on being allowed to drive.
Much like what Sue said, in Tucson chores done early in the morning afternoons spent inside in the cool of the house doing chores that I have put off all year for days just like this.
To sit in your garden looking at the roses in your header photo must be a bit of heaven.

cheers, parsnip

Loren said...

You do know that the Solitary Walker included pictures of his lunch don't you?

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for the delicious recipe! Today it was too warm to do anything, so I sat in my cool house with all windows and the back door open. Lovely.

Elizabeth said...

So glad you are free to drive again.Over 100'F here so n fun at all.
Enjoy your sunny weather while it lasts!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Yummm your salad sounds great. I love salads or just plates of fresh vegetables for lunch (or dinner), summer is such good eating.

I'm glad you are able to drive again - must feel good to be released to wander.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Yummm your salad sounds great. I love salads or just plates of fresh vegetables for lunch (or dinner), summer is such good eating.

I'm glad you are able to drive again - must feel good to be released to wander.

Hildred said...

Your salad sounds lovely and refreshing Pat, - and I'm so glad to hear that I can be lazy during the heat of the day. Also that you are once again able to drive!!!!!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Would you just look at allthose roses in your header! Wonderful! No wonder there is a scented breeze!

I recommend iced Daiquiris and cold water on the wrists!

Arija said...

Elderflower cordial sounds wonderful. Must make some when ours are flowering. We never get the fruit anyway, the birds are quicker than I am.
At last you are getting some real summer weather so enjoy it while it lasts. Glad the farmer will be finished with the haymaking soon so he can have a rest too.
We are at last getting some really good rains so I hope there will be enough run off to at least fill the dams though I pray for more than that so some of the salty sediment can be washed out.
Enjoy your day out.

Crafty Green Poet said...

In thins heat, i don't think anyone should be out in the full sun for too long between 11 and 4!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. Another scorcher today = up in the high seventies and it is only eight o'clock.

Keep cool, keep in the shade, drink plenty and see you later.

thelma said...

Good news that you are being allowed to drive now, and the recipe sounds just right for this hot weather. All the crops in this part of Essex are turning a gentle honey colour, with the hay brought in as well.

Pondside said...

Mmmmm - it all sounds delicious, especially against the backdrop of your header. You must be so very pleased to be allowed to drive again - you have your wheels back!

Em Parkinson said...

Hoorah for driving! Unfortunately, of course, you might as well go out in an oven at the moment, unless you're lucky enough to have air conditioning. Ours gave up the ghost last year!

Cloudia said...

Most enjoyable.


Ciao Bella!

MorningAJ said...

The permission to drive is good news - particularly since we'll be in Silverdale again in early September. We'll have to arrange another get together.