Friday 19 July 2013

Brigg Flatts

Today friend W and I have been to Kirby Lonsdale in Cumbria to meet friends P and D for lunch in Avanti - a lovely little Italian restaurant with a really Italian feel.    A slick dining area with a bar in the corner and outside a courtyard garden with trees for shade.   Today, just outside the window where we sat, there was the most beautiful dog.   He was tall and slender and pale honey coloured rough hair.   After our lunch (I had pasta with tiger prawns, chorizo, cherry tomatoes and spinach) I spoke to the dog's owner.   The dog was a rescue dog and was a lurcher - around 5 years old.  My goodness, he had fallen on his feet - he was being loved by everyone around.   I could have taken him home.

After lunch we strolled back to the car and came home via Sedbergh.   On the way we called in to look at Brigg Flatts - one of the oldest Quaker Meeting Houses in Britain.  And of course I had decided not to take my camera!

Brigg Flatts is down a little narrow lane and is surrounded by about half a dozen old cottages - in days gone by this would have been a little Quaker community.   Inside the building was absolutely beautiful with the most serene atmosphere.   There was even a dog pen where people who walked over the fields to the meeting could put their dogs.

It stands in a delightful cottage garden; there are seats to sit on and enjoy the peace and a lovely man came across and asked us if we would like a cup of tea.   There was a magical atmosphere of peace and tranquility.  I wish I could post a photograph to show you.

If you want a treat though, Basil Bunting the Quaker poet, wrote a wonderful poem called Brigg Flatts.   The first two lines are:-
Brag sweet tenor bull,
descant to Rawthey's madrigal.
If you go on line and Google him you can read the poem.   The Rawthey is the local river and a short time after leaving the Meeting House we crossed in and entered Sedbergh on our way home.

It was a hot and humid day but the cool inside that place made me want to stay there all day.

10 comments:

Heather said...

That sounds like the perfect outing for a hot summer day. I love finding a place with a serene atmosphere - they are very precious.

John Going Gently said...

Your header looks adorable

Country Gal said...

Sounds like a lovely place ! I do like your header photo ! Thanks for sharing your day with us ! Have a nice evening .

Country Gal said...

P.S My father in law is from Yorkshire came over here to Canada when he was 12 . Most of my relatives are in England some in Scotland , my parents may they RIP are also from England ! Mum from Liverpool and dad Hammersmith ha funny that was my maiden name Smith ok, ok I can prove it lol ! It has been years since I have been to England I will have to make a trip soon , I miss seeing the country side ! Have a great day !

Hildred said...

What a nice day Pat, - I was drawn to your description of the Quaker spot, and its serenity. And also Basil Bunting. I had not heard of him before but stopped to look up his bio and the words of Brigg Flatts. What a cosmopolitan life he led.

Thank you for your kind words in your comments - the sky is blue again today and my spirits
rise with it.....life is good and for that I am very grateful.

Pondside said...

It sounds like you had a very good day, Pat. Thank you for the tease of the first two lines. I found the poem on line, read aloud by the poet - what a treat!

Pondside said...

PS Come and sit by the ponds any time you like!

angryparsnip said...

Lovely day out !
I still can't believe how beautiful your header is. The roses against the wall is just lovely.

cheers, parsnip

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for calling in. The sun has gone today and there is thick cloud - rather a relief after so much sun.

Pete Thompson said...

Briggflatts is a wonderful poem. I think it's on a par with the work of TS Elliot and Ezra Pound. He really should be better known that he is. I'd love to go and visit Brigg Flatts.