Sunday 19 June 2011

STOP PRESS!! CHICKS!!


Eight out of ten eggs - two eggs infertile. Seven of the chicks are pale yellow and one is black (we have some Black Rock hens). We knew they had been born because Goldie was making a gentle clucking noise when we looked last night, but this morning she allowed us a little peep at all eight.
At present I have left her a bowl of chick crumbs but later in the day I shall take her a saucer of chopped hard boiled egg - always a good food for new born chicks and a bit of a pick me up for Goldie who has hardly eaten anything over the last three weeks.
When I do that I shall try and get a photograph so watch this space.
The farmer is walking with his walking group today and I have a friend coming for coffee (her husband also walks with the group). There has been more rain overnight but at least the farmer will not get his bottom wet when he sits down for lunch as I have bought him a waterproof cushion to carry in his rucksack. Now that it has started raining here it does not know when to stop.
Have a nice Sunday. See you this evening complete with photograph (hopefully).

21 comments:

Penny said...

Well done, cant wait to see the chicks.

Heather said...

Congratulations to Goldie on her exciting news! Eight out of ten is pretty good. I look forward to seeing her babies and it all takes me back to the time when my father arrived home with a cardboard box from which tiny peeping sounds came. My first experience of keeping chickens. See you later.

Titus said...

Exciting!
And I was very touched by the purchase of a cushion detail.

Crafty Green Poet said...

wonderful about the chicks!

FireLight said...

Chick! Chick! Hurrah!

Leanne said...

OH!! congratulations, i just love little chicks!! well done, thats a good hatching rate!

Leanne x

Arija said...

Congratulations! Eight out of ten is a pretty good score. Look forward to the pics.

Pondside said...

Great news! Eight our of ten is a good number and I look forward to seeing that first photo. Fingers crossed for more boys than girls!

angryparsnip said...

Oh, I am so excited !
Well done Goldie :)

cheers, parsnip

Golden West said...

Lovely!

Reena said...

Oh, baby chicks .. so cute. Looking forward to more pics!

angryparsnip said...

so glad I checked back to see if you posted a photo .... and you did !
awwwwwwwwwww they are so sweet ! and they look so big and walking around already.
quite lovely.

cheers, parsnip

steven said...

i love baby anythings! lucky you!! steven

ChrisJ said...

Oh well done Goldie! Eight chicks and one of them black. Wonderful. Looking forward to more photos.

Hildred said...

What little darllings, - new life and all that. Goldie must be very satisfied with herself!!

Gwil W said...

Lovely to see all the animals on your farm looking so healthy unlike those poor cows in Japan now starving to death in the dead zone.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Chicks doing well so far and Goldie a very loving mother. Will update the photos after a few days. Dad of course, knows nothing of it all.

Dartford Warbler said...

How lovely. Congratulations to Goldie and to you!

Reader Wil said...

Those little chicks are so cute. It's a pity that my daughter lost all her chickens when she was on holiday in Holland.
You asked about the Wizard. Well Ann sent me a comment to tell that he left Christchurch after the earth quake and that the turned up at one of her party. He came with a friend of hers. He is 78 1/2 now. He has his birthday on the same day as I have.

Mary said...

I love them..........such sweet chicks!

Chris said...

Wow, eight out of ten eggs is good going Weaver. I'll bet they are all hens.

I'm always frustrated trying to get decent photo of the chicks as they make a b-line straight for Mum when they see the camera.