Tuesday, 11 January 2011
Tense times here on the farm.
Today the vet arrived after lunch to test the cows for TB. We no longer have a dairy herd of our own but we do house in-calf heifers for our neighbour over the winter months. Today the vet injected each animal and will come back shortly to see whether any lumps showing the presence of TB have developed. If the answer is positive then that animal will have to be destroyed and the whole herd will be 'frozen' - in other words, the farmer will be unable to sell any of his stock until such time as the whole herd is clear again - so any bull calves will have to be kept; there can be no business done.
Of course the whole thing is much more worrying if one has a beef herd, because then there is a lot of buying and selling goes on - not least selling animals for meat. If TB is present then all this has to stop.
We must all wait now and keep our fingers crossed. I took a few photographs as the vet arrived. Because the weather has been so wet everywhere is very dirty and muddy. The cattle are Holstein pedigree and some of them have won many prizes so there is even more to worry about.
today's aros: the low sun makes long shadows.