Saturday 31 July 2010

Waiting at the Bus Stop.

Here I am on a dull Saturday morning, waiting at the bus stop; my brolly and macintosh at the ready and my sandwiches packed.
I thought this week end's topic was splendid - to take a group of word-verification words and weave a poem round them. I did several poems as it was such an enjoyable exercise. What I found was that however you did it there was a strong whiff of inuendo, Maybe it is an age thing - when I was young I didn't even know that the 'f' word existed - and I still can't bring myself to say it. Even the simplest things - like going to the lavatory for example - were always cloaked in a kind of Victorian primness. My father always referred to going to the lavatory (which, by the way, was at the bottom of the garden!) as going to 'see a man about a dog.' Thinking about it, I am sure society in this country was only just beginning to emerge from the Victorian era - when they even put frills around the bottom of piano legs to hide the 'ankles'!
So here is my untitled poem. Make of it whatever you will.

If your boxylls feel all wobbly
and your tabioc is numb,
then send for the mendenti
(use the phone and he'll soon come).

He will tell you you're reldeste,
that your hicabous is dead,
that you need a new combonsu
(that'll put you in the red!)

So, blestios amigos,
hoist your copsibow instead, and
cast your prosions to the four winds.
(Remember - you're a long time dead!)

26 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Wonderful, Weaver, very very funny and as you say deeply suggestive of who knows what - all things unmentionable in relation to the body and its activities.

Anonymous said...

Clever and plausible, Pat. And if it's any comfort from one only a year or two behind you but having caught the bandwagon that maybe you just missed - I'm sensing no innuendo here at all!

Heather said...

Fabulous Pat - I am still chuckling. I'm just about to post my offering and can't think anyone has managed a serious poem this time.

Jinksy said...

Wonderful creation! :)

Tramp said...

Lovely sense of mischievousness. That dates me ... Tramp

Reader Wil said...

Wow, that's difficult English!!! You're so clever and funny too!
When I learnt English from the age of twelve, I was taught never to say "loo"for lavatory, but to say "I am going to powder my nose". That was nonsense because I didn't use powder and still don't. So instead I always asked:"Can I use your toilet please?"
Nowadays my children call a spade a spade, that's honest and very clear language.

Rachel Fox said...

Excellent. I'm not sure any of us will be able to top that!
Clearly this is your topic...
x

Totalfeckineejit said...

This could be your masterpiece Weaver.It's fantastic!

izzy said...

thanks for your clear explanation !
I enjoyed your piece- making sense of nonsense- sounds like! rhyme-

Pondside said...

Loved it! It tickled my exaphes!

Unknown said...

Although I often find WVs amusing or just plain daft, I don't think I could weave them into such a clever and funny poem! Well done, Weaver!

WV: holedove

Dr. Jeanne Iris said...

Weaver, this poem is INESQU! And I mean that from the bottom of my heart. ; )

I love the way we seem to be making such common sense out of these nonsensical words.

MorningAJ said...

That's a great way to use the nonsense words. I've been collecting them for a while and making up my own definitions for them But I never thought of turning them to poetry.
Have a happy maimpahh!

Helen said...

Weaver ... Weaver ... masterful!

(I see 'thetici' here)

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Hilarious -- absolutely hilarious. And clever. The word verification I will be asked to type in a second is is "corsy"-- could be a garment, or perhaps I will "corsy" up to my husband tonight.

Penny said...

this is wonderful! I often look at the very odd words that are generated and am sure there is a new language just waiting to emerge.
Here is mine to you.
I clerb you!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I feel like I'm reading Gaelic!

Titus said...

Brilliant, funny and I loved the introduction! I'm a bit with TFE: masterpeice is not an understatement.

NanU said...

Good advice all, Weaver! I'll be taking it with a dose of peracta as soon as I figure it out.

Argent said...

Excellent stuff - 'wobbly' is a funny word all on its own, isn't it? I seuti you!

Elizabeth said...

Such a wonderful poem!
Some months ago I was collecting the word verifcation things in a list.........and then lost it!

Dave King said...

Delightful - and enviably clever. Well done, indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed the read, and that's what it's all about.

Martin said...

A cautionary tale. Great fun.

Erratic Thoughts said...

What a poem,funny- so clever of you :D
I liked the last line of each stanza..nicely written :)

Padhraig Nolan said...

very good indeed - I'm toasting you with beermemp and ackmor!

Niamh B said...

I do need a new combunso I think.

Very nice combinations there