Saturday 16 January 2010

Textiles




The weather today is absolutely disgusting - raining, snowing, sleeting, melting snow, floods in the fields, wet and squelchy everywhere. Oh, and did I mention that it is also cold? It is a day to stay indoors and do jobs. So that is what I am doing.
I have tidied my files in the computer and put everything neatly in folders; somehow that is not as satisfying as doing it in "real life" - I haven't got a neat pile of folders sitting on the shelf, just on a cyber shelf I suppose.
The thaw is promoting some wonderful icicles - look at these lovely ones over our shower room. I read in the paper that someone threatened a man with a huge icicle but that it would not come to court because the evidence would have melted - not sure whether it was fact or joke!
I have started on my next project. Now that I have written out my poetry and made a bag to keep the book in I was searching for my next project and hit upon the idea of making one or two books - one may be to chart happenings on the farm, this one to be done in photography, writings and embroidery; also one on my family history which can be passed on to the next generation. So I have started by making a book cover - or at least a front cover. I have posted a picture above - not finished but work in progress.
Fiona of Marmalade Rose (see my blog list) has a new resolution to sew for at least twenty minutes as day and she has now got a group of sewing ladies to join her in the resolution. What a splendid idea for this weather and what a good discipline. My personality is such that unless I have the discipline of some project or other to keep me going in this weather I will end up sitting in front of the wood-burner toasting crumpets or lolling about doing nothing - and that will never do, will it? (Please don't answer that)
For my bloggy friends in Melbourne, I see that yesterday was incredibly hot and that forest fires are a real possibility in the hot dry weather. From my desk here in the awful weather I find it hard to imagine what the heat is like - but I do send you my commiserations and I do hope you manage to keep cool while we are all huddling round the fire.

21 comments:

Jane Moxey said...

What a gorgeous pice of textile work you've created! What a lovely idea to make it a cover for some writings about your life. Maybe you could lift some of your wonderful blog posts to have for some of the copy! I have just found Marmalade Rose's blog -- what a great idea about the 20 minutes every day for some sort of creative work and play!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

This has been some kind of winter so far, hasn't it? Colder than in years. Snow, too. Here in the South, that's not the usual thing. I applaud you for not snuggling down in bed on the kind of day you describe. I'm sorely afraid that's where I'd be tempted to be!

Heather said...

I love your icicles - they remind me of my childhood when my younger cousin brought one in and put it on the kitchen mantelpiece and was then heartbroken because it melted! Your textile bookcover is going to be beautiful - I love making books and have ideas for two buzzing round in my head. Sorry your weather conditions are still so unpleasant and hope you get some of tomorrow's forecast 'fine day' to cheer you up. I can't imagine you lolling about in front of the fire - you always sound very busy. Relaxing maybe, but lolling? - no.

Pondside said...

Somehow cyber tidying isn't quite as rewarding as going at it with file boxes and dust cloth, is it?
Your piece of textile is gorgeous - and will make the book a treasured heirloom.

Titus said...

Much the same here Weaver, but the boys are having fun with the last of the ice and things are reappearing on the lawn which we haven't seen for a month!
Beautiful piece of textile work (material? no idea what the proper word is) and fabulous colours. Good luck with the project.

ArtPropelled said...

Glorious warm colours for your book cover, Weaver. Glad you are making good use of this time and hopefully we'll see what progress you have made later.

Maggi said...

Beautiful rich colours and textures. All our snow is gone too leaving everywhere dank, dark and now very foggy. Roll on Spring.

steven said...

hello weaver! i love textile work like this that melds all sorts of colours and textures. i'm really impressed - you've such varied talents! steven

Robin Mac said...

Love your book cover, luscious colours - are they silk rods? The weather sounds absolutely appalling, I am glad I live in the tropics and I shan't complain - well, not too much - about our heat and humidity again! Actually we have had quite pleasant weather for the last few days, not like the south of Australia. Cheers, Robin

Heather said...

I'm back! You asked about making books. It is possible to stitch onto paper by hand or machine though care has to be taken not to tear the paper. A couple of coats of acrylic wax makes paper much stronger though it does alter the colour slightly. The pages can be strengthened by sticking or stitching them together, back to back. I like to make fabric books and use calico. It can be painted, written on and stitched. I cut the pages in pairs to the size I want, do the stitching, painting and add any extras and then use an automatic stitch round the edges to join them together, back to back. This also hides any untidy bits on the backs of the pages. I leave the edges rough but you could seam them together if you don't like that idea or even work buttonhole stitch around the edges. I do hope this is helpful. There are no hard and fast rules - it's not like bookbinding. If you have an idea of what you would like to make, and just get started you will be able to work out how to do it. That's how I made my first book.

Elisabeth said...

From one of your Melbourne bloggies, Weaver, the weather has settled down over the last few days and is presently pleasant. There is even the suggestion that we might get some rain, which I'll believe when I see it.

This time this year has been so much better than this time last year and so not too many people here are complaining now. It rained heavily before Christmas and our water reserves are higher, though still very low, compared to this time last year.

I enjoyed your icicle story in a bizarre sort of way. No evidence you say, because an icicle would melt. But an icicle could be like a shard of glass I imagine if used inappropriately.

I, too, need projects, to keep me disciplined but even then I can sometimes resist them.

Leenie said...

Although cold weather is depressing, I enjoy the break from gardening and the opportunity to tidy. Love the icicle photo and your textile work is lovey.

Aussie Jo said...

Lovely warm colours in the book cover.
I am near Melbourne; last Monday it was 45C here, tomorrow they are forecasting showers and 19C!!

Jinksy said...

I think you caught some of Australia's heat in your textile picture! Magic...

Gwil W said...

Weaver, may I through your comments box promulgate my blog post of today 'A Simple Haiti Aid & Rescue Plan'.
Many thanks in anticipation
and best wishes,
Gwilym

Unknown said...

Hello Weaver,

Super warm colours in your material to counteract the cold outside. We still have plenty of snow and ice in the fields but slowly, slowly it's going!

Golden West said...

You are so right about having a project in the works - I find that sewing, just like gardening, allows me time to let my mind wander. It can be a blessing to be less focused sometimes.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Jane - have you joined Fiona's knit in?
Pamela - it has been too cold to stay in bed - one has to keep moving otherwise one freezes from the feet up.
Heather - thank you so much for the help with books.
Thanks to all of you for your kind words on my textile work - I will keep you [posted on how it progresses.

Anonymous said...

Hi Weaver, We actually had some rain overnight, here in Melbourne. The weather is cooler - yesterday was a mild 22 degrees C - sunny without the stinging heat. Those icicles would have given much respite on our really hot days. Your book cover is progressing well - looks like rivers of gold and copper - molten warmth for your very cold days.

Reader Wil said...

I really love the colours of your piece of textile creation. Thanks for sharing your post. And for your visit!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

I love the sound of your new book projects! I especially like the way your want to record it through the use of different media. What a treasure it will be!

Keep warm! Hot and dry here!