Saturday 9 January 2010

Birds have personalities too.

Conversation overheard at the bird table this morning:

Are we in the right place
said the fieldfare
as he looked at the snow on the ground.
I thought we came here from Norway
to get away from that white stuff around.

Yes, you're in the right place
said the blackbird -
and I think we're related too.
You'll find plenty to eat at this restaurant
but you'll have to watch what you do!

The robin won't let you near his patch;
he's ready to fight to the death.
He'll guard his little beef-suet stash
down to his very last breath.

The titmice are all very helpful
as they dart from the seeds to the fat.
If you stand underneath they might drop some.
But you'll have to watch out for the cat!

The finches all come in a cluster,
their entrance is a bit of a shock.
They might have a lot of bluster
but they do add colour to the flock.

If you hide in the holly and wait
you might see the long'tailed tits.
They pop in on their way past the gate
and they cover the peanut bits.

You'll have to watch out for the big boys.
When they come, they come in a gang.
The crows, the rooks and the jackdaws
You could say they arrive with a bang!
They scatter the food to the four winds
and they go as fast as they came.
They make such a mess of the breadcrumbs,
you'd think they were playing a game.

There's two birds you've got to watch out for,
the woodpecker gives a sharp peck;
and then, of course there's the sparrow hawk
who roars through at the speed of a jet.

But the waiter and waitress are friendly.
I wish we could say thankyou, and sing.
But meanwhile we'll just eat what they give us
and we'll give them a song in the Spring! Happy eating, birds!

25 comments:

Dinesh chandra said...

Great poem , these days only birds are personalities not men and women , because we r going far from the nature, we alwyas ply with nature for our personal benifit.

Regards

Dinesh Chandra

Ann Christy said...

You have a brilliant way with words and definite talent at writing poems. I love this poem especially as I and my DH are keen birdwatchers. We have just returned from a lovely walk along the beach and stood for quite a while watching the thrushes, fieldfare and redwings all foraging furiously in the vegetation just barely visible in the snow. How long did it take to write it? I am in complete awe!

Golden West said...

Your poem has a wonderful rhythm, Weaver, that fits the way birds pop about when they're on the ground with half an eye cocked for the others that may come around. Utterly charming! Thanks for that!

steven said...

hello weaver - i juts watched a feature on bbc online in which a farmer in the high pennines (not far from barnard castle) talks about how he and his sheep are surviving the wintry weather. i think this poem is very clever and the first thought i had when i finished it was that this would be an amazing children's book if illustrated! have a peaceful and warm day in the dale. steven

Sal said...

Excellent!!
I hope that the waitress is dressed in the proper attire!
Have a lovely weekend!
;-)

Anonymous said...

You wrote this? It's wonderful! You need to get published..what a gift.

Anonymous said...

And I too had the thought that my children would enjoy this also... a children's book, as suggested above, would be a wonderful idea!!! Find an illustrator and put it together!...

Dave King said...

Oh, absolutely delightful. That was very special!

Maggi said...

I love this poem, especially as I have had the chance to do a lot of watching lately

Bovey Belle said...

What a wonderful poem and very reminiscent of my garden at the moment. We seem to be top-heavy with Blackbirds though - 21 was the highest count this morning. We've had several Redwings passing through and a Fieldfare who arrived rather weak, but after 3 days of food is now holding his own against the blackbirds.

Cat said...

I loved your poem. I hope you are staying cozy during this cold.

Jane Moxey said...

I loved your poem, Weaver. What lucky birds to have such a nice restaurant in your garden. And how kind and thoughtful you chaps are to feed them like you do.

Jane Moxey said...

Gosh, maybe Acornmoon could illustrate your poem???

Bill said...

Good one. My beak, sadly, is a bit too big to get the nuts out of those feeder things.

Heather said...

What a great poem Weaver - very topical too.

Titus said...

Loved this Weaver, and it really did make me laugh out loud! The Sparrowhawk that swoops low through our garden always scares the life out of me, and moves so fast it really is like a travelling blur.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Beautifully done, Pat!! All those little birdies must really be wondering what on earth is going on with the weather. I'm sure they are grateful for the food you provide.

DJ said...

What a talented writer you are...so creative and loving, too. Are you published?

rallentanda said...

Yes it crys out for an illustrator.
Would be a good children's poem

Crafty Green Poet said...

This is lovely, you've captured each species personality so well and the rhythm is lovely too

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Brilliant! I loved it!

Jeannette StG said...

Such a humorous poem, Weaver! Good luck with your restaurant!

The Weaver of Grass said...

This poem was dashed off in double quick time - it was not meant as a "pice of poetry" but rather are just an observation of the bird table. Thanks for the comments - maybe I should work on it a bit more to make it better. As far as publication goes - I feel there is far too much competition in that area. I wish I was able to draw and could illustrate my writing but my drawing skills are nil. In any case - publication on my blog is enough for me - you all read it and that gives me great pleasure.

BT said...

Well that is just beautiful Weaver and it made me smile! Lovely thoughts.

Woman in a Window said...

They surely do! I like to hear of them half a world away being so so so...birdy. We are all the same afterall, in so many ways. Good to read you again!
xo
erin