Wednesday 25 November 2009

Hare

When I posted my book on my blog a couple of days ago Derrick commented on the page he could read, which was "Hare." I did put this poem on my blog a long time ago, but as today is a very busy day here (that will be another blog tomorrow) and I shall be short of time, I am putting the poem on again. So this is for you Derrick (Melrose Musings) and for anyone else who came to my blog after I posted it last time.
The hare is my favourite animal. Maybe it is something to do with being born on Hallowe'en - but the magic and folklore which surround the animal has always fascinated me. There are dozens of colloquial words for the hare - one of which is Dew Flirt, and another The Wild One. I have used both in my poem.

Hare.

Dew Flirt!
Mysterious wild thing
of the ploughed earth,
birthing in the furrow and
living for the free, open ground.

Tales of mystery
and magic
surround you.
How little we really know you -
The Wild One.

Familiar to the goddess, Freya,
as the black cat
to the witch,
you stand tall,
tipped ears erect,
and meet my eye with
fearless gaze.

Then you are gone,
leaping and flying
through the air in one
gigantic burst of speed.

Sleep with your eyes open
if you will.
Dance to the rhythms of time
as you have always done.
Shun taming,
stay free; but
give me the occasional glance
to gladden my heart.

Have a lovely day.

13 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am glad you reposted this. I haven't been reading you blog for long and I enjoy it so. I would love to read all of your poems. You should have your poems bound.

Elisabeth said...

Oh Dear, Weaver, I think of hare and I think not of the majesty of the one you describe in your poem, but of the jugged variety.

I only ate it once many years ago, but it was magnificent.

Forgive me, vegetarians. I don't think I could eat it now.

steven said...

hello weaver! i really enjoyed this poem my daughter and i love the wild rabbits who live in and around our property. we've seen a few generations use this land as their home, their mating ground, and most especially as their buffet! have a lovely day in the dale. steven

Heather said...

This is beautiful Weaver - I couldn't quite decipher it from your post the other day. Thankyou for posting it again. I too love hares and used to enjoy watching them chasing each other through the hedges of our little paddock at the back of our previous house. They are brave little creatures - our labrador was very curious one day about something in the grass. It was making quite a loud high pitched sound and on getting closer we found a leveret shouting at the dog to leave it alone!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Weaver! I'm glad to read the remainder of your poem. It is beautiful, as ever, with the image it builds of the hare, its folklore and the wonder you feel for it. When we lived in a farm cottage a few years ago, I saw a hare a few times when I had managed to rise early! It is quite different to the rabbits we see more often around here.

Acornmoon said...

Sighting a hare certainly does gladden the heart, as does your poem.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love hares too they have such presence and such amazing eyes. Thanks for sharing your poem which is lovely....

Maggi said...

A very evocative poem. I have only been lucky enough to see hares once but it was an experience not to be missed.

Dinesh chandra said...

I realy admire the power of pen of a poet with her imagination inteligency . God bless you.

regards

Dinesh Chandra

P.E.Adkins said...

I like this poem. What is the difference between a hare and a bunny rabbit? We have wild bunnies around here (Appalachia- USA).

Penny said...

Hi Weaver, we have hares in Australia as well, they are related to deer not rabbits, but the saying silly or mad as a March hare holds good here too. I once raised a pair of leverets, many years ago.
Love that poem it really says it all.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Glad you enjoyed the poem. As regards jugged hare to eat = it was my mother's favourite dish and I grew up with hare in various stages of undress, hanging around the house. I love them far too much to eat them. As you will see from Penny's comment, they are not related to rabbits at all. You rarely see more than one hare unless they are doing their March boxing thing - then maybe two or even three - here rabbits come in tens or twenties!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Gosh, I love this.
I do wish we had your sort of hares here. We have bunnies instead, which are really quite nice. But to see a hare dance!