Well, for better or worse, I have finished my Poetry Book Cover. In case you missed my earlier blog, I have hand-written some of my poems into a book, really so that when I "pop my clogs" my poetry can be kept by my family, if they wish to do so. I really enjoyed writing it out so I decided it would be good to make a decoration for the front and back covers.
Making a complete book cover is quite easy, but this book had a spiral back which meant I had to design a front cover and a back cover and stick them on.
Because it is a long time since I did any serious textile work, I have found getting back into it very hard. My sewing machine was like a foreigh, unvisited country. Even the simplest thing caused me to get into melt-down. I kept getting the tension wrong, I couldn't thread the needle, the thread kept breaking. I began to despair, and several days ago posted a blog to say that I could not find my "voice" again with textile art. Fantastic bloggy friends that you are, you sent me a series of very encouraging messages - keep trying, don't despair, your voice will come back.
So yesterday morning - with nothing planned for the whole day - I shut myself in my study, took it gently and began to sew . And, hey presto, I have managed it.
Yes, I know (and you will know too if you enlarge the pictures) I have made mistakes, it is not perfect by any means. But I have managed to complete something and I like it (with reservations about some of the stitching). If posterity reads it and gives the verdict "well. she is a better poet than she is a needlewoman" then I shall be happy.
On a different note: my daughter-in-law has a new camera and she brought it round for me to look at. I turned it towards Tess and clicked the shutter. Since I had Tess I have spent hours trying to get a decent photograph and they always turn out badly. But as you can see on my side bar - this one was very successful.