What is it they say on the television? "We are interrupting this programme with an important announcement....." Well, I am doing just that!!
Yesterday I drove to Tesco on the Garrison at Catterick (our nearest supermarket) sandwiched between two armoured personnel=carriers and two tanks on manouvres. It was quite a journey but it set me thinking. And this is what I thought......
"Aren't we lucky to live in a country where army personnel, men in uniforms with guns, tanks, other accoutrements of war, hold absolutely no threat to us whatsoever?" I thought of the countries in Africa where there has been genocide for years; countries whi ch are oppressed by armed gangs and warring tribes; countries where there has been "ethnic cleansing."
So - I am interrupting my series of blogs on Swaledale/ Arkengarthdale and back to Swaledale, and putting on today instead:-
TEN REASONS TO BE HAPPY.
1. The sun is shining and the buds are bursting.
2. I am quite healthy at the moment.
3. I had a very happy first marriage.
4. I have an equally happy (but completely different) second marriage.
5. I have a loving family around me.
6. I have had a fulfilling career.
7. I have so many labour-saving devices around me that I can go off for the day whenever I feel like it and know I am not leaving household jobs undone (three cheers for the dishwasher!!!)
8. I can get into the car and drive myself wherever I want to go. When I think of my mother
during my childhood - an outing by bus to see an aunt who lived fourteen miles away entailed going on two separate buses and there and back took up the greatest part of the day. Yes, I know we knew no other life, so were happy then - but how we have "come on."
9. I live in very beautiful countryside with plenty of fresh air.
10. I can blog my way around the world.
Who could ask for more that that?