Friday 20 March 2009

Bundles of Bundles!











I am participating in Seth Apter's "Bundles of Bundles" (see my blog list - The Altered Page). What I find so exciting about blogging is that something like this can take place around the world with just the touch of a button. Whereas young people take this sort of thing forgranted, oldies like me are blown away by how clever it all is.
So here we go - I assembled some detritus on a piece of tissue paper - an old lipstick, a key ring, a key, a paper clip, some dark red dried crab-apples, some hand-dyed blue scrim pieces - all the kind of things you might find washed up on a beach. Then I wrapped them in newspaper to make a bundle - the poet in me decided to choose the newspaper carefully - so I first wrapped it in the front of The Times which had a man in the middle of the sea in a rowing boat; Then I wrapped all over that in another piece with the heading "how to fly". Then I tied the whole lot up with string and have hung it in the rowan, where the birds perch, where they eat the coconut the farmer has strung up for them, where the wind blows through if there is the slightest breath.
Now it will sit there until the end of April, along with about a hundred other bundles around the world. I like the idea of that, so thanks Seth for inviting me to join in.
I have visions of it blowing away in the wind and getting lodged on top of a hedge somewhere - that would be great - or it might blow down and get pecked by my hens who like to scratch under the rowan - anything might happen - the important thing is that it is exposed to whatever the elements like to throw at it. If you fancy participating contact Seth - there might still be time.

26 comments:

Gwil W said...

I'm looking forward to April more than ever now. I can't wait to see what happens to your bits and pieces in your March winds and April showers suffering bundle.

Jinksy said...

If I lived next door, I'd be tempted to steal your bundle, just for that bit if blue dyed scrim!

Tess Kincaid said...

What a curious idea! I've never heard of such a thing. Is this common practice in your neck of the woods?

Caroline Gill said...

The link to Seth's blog postings is here for those who are interested. What an intriguing project!(& speaking of trees, how serendipitous somehow that the word verification on this occasion included the word 'resin'!).

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Re your last post. If you have a chance and can get them.... try reading the Leaphorn mystery series by Tony Hillerman. They are about the Navahjo reservation.

Unknown said...

Helo Weaver,

I looked at Seth's site a little while ago about his collaborative work with some other artists, which was very interesting.

Now, we have to see what your hens might look like, wearing your lipstick and a jaunty blue trimming!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Can't help feeling this is written tongue-in-cheek Poet!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh Jinksy - what we embroiderers would do for a bit of dyed scrim!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Willow - I have never heard of it before but Seth Apter who has set it all up is a mixed media artist and surprise, surprise - lives in New York!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for that Coastcard - are you participating too?

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks Leilani - will order it from the library and see whether they can get it for me.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I will let you know if and when it happens, Derrick!

Woman in a Window said...

I'd be a busy body cleaner and it would be snipped up and thrown away with a tut tut. Sorry. Bundles and detritus drive me mad...but it does look fun.

Caroline Gill said...

I am sitting on the fence (in other words I am chasing my tail!), but who knows ... The w/e might just be the time to wrap a bundle!

Mistlethrush said...

An interesting idea but I don't know how long I could live with the bundle. I'm a bit like Woman in a Window - I'd end up binning it!

Heather said...

This makes me think of an outdoor textile exhibition last year at Nature in Art near Gloucester. It was interesting to see that those pieces made from or encased in plastic didn't fare as well as the fabric ones. They were hung from trees in the grounds, so were at the mercy of the elements for several weeks. My favourite was a series of faux garments with a Victorian feel, made from a type of plasticised white paper and hung along the hedge like Mrs. Tiggiewinkle's washing.

Liz said...

Lucky you having spring Weaver. At last blogger is letting me comment. some I can some I can't on which is frustrating.

I loved your Haiku. Enjoyed the ewes with the lambs going down the lane. The Pueblo Art is just gorgeous and absolutely fabulous. The bundles look like a lot of fun and very very creative. I'll have to take a look at Seth's work it looks fascinating.

On the Diesel issue thank goodness we haven't ended up with the colour coding or people would be doing what you told me they do with taking the dye out. Terrible

Happy Spring Weaver
Take care
Liz

The Weaver of Grass said...

Mistlethrush, coastcard and woman in a window: Go on now - bite the bullet - you don't need to hang the bundle in a tree, you can submerge it in a pond if you like, or hide it in the hedgebottom.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Heather - love the idea of Mrs Tiggiwinkle's washing!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for the call madbush - glad you have finally been able to ge through. Isn't it frustrating!

Seth said...

So glad you ddecided to participate. Your bundle was created with such thought and care. I think it will be amazing to see on May 1!

Janice Thomson said...

Can't wait til the end of April to see what has happened yo your bundle - what a unique and wonderful idea!

BT said...

Weaver, I am so glad you have joined in and your lovely bundle is in such a splendid place. I have just got back from the UK and haven't inspected mine yet. Next job! I'm not sure if I'll be able to catch up with all your blog but I'll do my best.
Gina
x

Unknown said...

Really like the reds you've put in your bundle! Such a splash of color when things are still drab.

mansuetude said...

i came over from Seth's blog! so love that you included lipstick in your bundle, its very poetic in some way, connected to the lips, etc...

good luck with it.

Mrs Pretzel said...

I can't wait for the reveal!! I just know this is going to be SO fun... see you in May!